Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice - 100 year old silk from China (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-100-year-old-silk-china-t160011.html)

BizzieLizzie 10-12-2011 05:23 PM

12 Attachment(s)
A friend asked if I would make her 4 year old a quilt and I gladly said I would. She asked that I used some Chinese silk which used to be her grandmother's wedding dress. Embroidered and stitched by hand by her grandmother 100 years, may be more, ago.

There isn't enough for a whole quilt and I will need to add fabric to it. My worry is that the Silk will not hold up to wear and tear. I noticed that there is feed sack on the back of the 'collar' pieces, stabilising the embroidery.

There are little areas where there is weakness in the embroidered tapes already, mainly along the edges. There is wear and tear, water marks and also little black spots. What do you think? Is there any way to try and secure the fabric pieces with new silk or cotton?

I am open to suggestions. My friend would really like to have these fabrics on her son's quilt and I would like to try and do a good job of it.

The other question is weather machine sewing will damage the fabrics? I would really welcome all help with this one!

There are quite a few pictures to come.

Thank you for taking the time and for the advice.

One of two pieces making the skirt of the wedding garment
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270292[/ATTACH]

Close up showing the lovely embroidery
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270293[/ATTACH]

Not sure what these pieces are but at a guess must be the collar. All embroidered with different flowers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270294[/ATTACH]

Water damage and tiny black spots on the back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270296[/ATTACH]

Feed sack on behind of 'collar' pieces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270297[/ATTACH]

Damage on tape along the edge
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270299[/ATTACH]

Another close up of the embroidery
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270302[/ATTACH]

THe other side of the 'skirt' panel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270307[/ATTACH]

Another area where the tape has perished
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270312[/ATTACH]

Close up of embroidery
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270316[/ATTACH]

Close up of embroidery
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270320[/ATTACH]

sewgull 10-12-2011 05:35 PM

Beautiful silk, the embroidery is amazing.

BizzieLizzie 10-12-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Beautiful silk, the embroidery is amazing.

Exactly what I said when I first saw it. Thank you.

Lucymae 10-12-2011 05:43 PM

It it so beautiful. I would be afraid to touch it. It seems that a bed quilt would not be practical. maybe a wall hanging? It is definetly an heirloom. let us see what you accomplish with this challenge!!

jaciqltznok 10-12-2011 05:44 PM

oh my....no way will that hold up to wear and use...let alone Laundry! and for a child???...I nearly fainted...

try to explain to her the fragile state of silk and how it must be cared for. Perhaps you can make her a special wall hanging from it or something..But please NOT a childs quilt!

the water damage with black spots..the spots are from mold.

you might also do some research online about the care of vintage silk.

Debbie C 10-12-2011 05:46 PM

This is beautiful fabric. I believe the black spots are mold, though. I'd take the fabric to a reputable cleaners and get their take on it. Once I purchased a brand new all silk dress to wear to a family wedding. During the party, the dress literally shredded up the side seams leaving me quite exposed. Turns out, the fabric was found to be old and I was fully refunded. (I ended up wearing my husbands suit jacket for the remainder of the night) Silks can be funny....

Glenn 10-12-2011 05:53 PM

I would design a quilt with a foundation peicing somewhat like a crazy quilt would be done. Foundattion would be a good qaulity muslin prewashed and ironed. I would use a fine needle in the machine and it should be fine but would test a small area first. I would not try to repair the damaged tape. I would work around the damage. This quilt when finished should be displayed and not used I don't think it will hold up with wear.
Glenn

Candace 10-12-2011 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
oh my....no way will that hold up to wear and use...let alone Laundry! and for a child???...I nearly fainted...

try to explain to her the fragile state of silk and how it must be cared for. Perhaps you can make her a special wall hanging from it or something..But please NOT a childs quilt!

the water damage with black spots..the spots are from mold.

you might also do some research online about the care of vintage silk.

Same thoughts here.

Mitch's mom 10-12-2011 06:10 PM

I would politely decline. The fabric is way to fragile to be used in a quilt. I'd suggest she get the mold issue resolved then have the remaining fabric and embroideries made into a shadowbox or wall hanging or picture, framed by a professional picture framer.

QuiltnNan 10-12-2011 06:10 PM

i can't imagine a child dragging that around in a quilt. the wall hanging idea is a good one. maybe a small strong piece could be used in the label area so that the child can have a part of memory all of the time.