Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need a advice on buying a new machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-buying-new-machine-t207463.html)

jjw 12-02-2012 06:31 AM

need a advice on buying a new machine

price $800 -max $1200

been researching

Juki HZL-F600 Exceed Series

Janome MC-6300P Professional Heavy-Duty Computerized Quilting Sewing Machine

any advice would be helpful
or if there better machines out there for the money
Thanks JJ

JulieR 12-02-2012 06:41 AM

I'm interested in this, too. Thanks for asking!

katier825 12-02-2012 07:01 AM

Before you decide, you might want to consider future repairs. Do you have a place that would work on either brand?

I've been researching Juki's myself. My local repairman says they are great! I don't know any Janome places near me, so I've never researched them.

auntpiggylpn 12-02-2012 07:37 AM

Definately need to see if you have any certified repair shops for either brand close to you. I have a Janome, which I love and want to upgrade to a 7700 BUT... I despise the only Janome dealer near me and I refuse to give them any of my business or money. That being said, I will have to wait for my upgrade. In my personal opinion, I think being unable to get good, reliable and friendly service for your machine is a deal breaker.

gail-r 12-02-2012 08:03 AM

I have a Juki TL98Q and I love it. It is the workhorse in my sewing room. I do a lot of quilting with it. I love it for piecing be cause of the 3/16ths compensating foot. Your seams are perfect. My real love is free-motion quilting, I just finished (well, not quite finished as it still needs binding) a king sized radiant star quilt made intirely on the Juki. Also, I just finished all of the applique blocks for the Supreme Snowpeople quilt using Patsy Thompsons EKG free-motion stitch. You would never guess they were done on a machine that only does straight stitch. I will try to post some pictures for you to see.

So, after this long story my best advise is to first decide what you want the machine to do. I do know that Janome machines have a good reputation. Good luck, I equate getting a new machine is more exciting than getting a new car. I spend far more time with my machines.:) Hugs.

bigsister63 12-02-2012 08:08 AM

There have been several discussions recently about this topic, so do a search to see other posts. Choose the type of machine that has the features that you want. Do you want to do emprodery ETC. , then go to shops and test sew the machine to see which one you like. I bought a Brothers 1500 straight stitch that I love for $600 (LQS was $1000-1300) with free shipping and no tax. Amazon is an authorized Brothers dealer so it will be easy to get fixed. I have another Singer machine for the fancy stitches.

rushdoggie 12-02-2012 08:38 AM

I am researching too! I am leaning towards a gently used Janome 6600 (if I can find one) or a Juki. Its harder to find a Juki dealer around here though...

gail-r 12-02-2012 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by gail-r (Post 5693459)
I have a Juki TL98Q and I love it. It is the workhorse in my sewing room. I do a lot of quilting with it. I love it for piecing be cause of the 3/16ths compensating foot. Your seams are perfect. My real love is free-motion quilting, I just finished (well, not quite finished as it still needs binding) a king sized radiant star quilt made intirely on the Juki. Also, I just finished all of the applique blocks for the Supreme Snowpeople quilt using Patsy Thompsons EKG free-motion stitch. You would never guess they were done on a machine that only does straight stitch. I will try to post some pictures for you to see.

So, after this long story my best advise is to first decide what you want the machine to do. I do know that Janome machines have a good reputation. Good luck, I equate getting a new machine is more exciting than getting a new car. I spend far more time with my machines.:) Hugs.

Ok. I just posted some pic's in the picture section, Supreme Snow People and King sized Radiant Star. All done completely on my Juki.

Shelbie 12-02-2012 09:57 AM

I've been considering the Juki Exceed 600 too and or the Juki TL2010Q which seem to have very good reviews. The Janome dealer asked me to consider the Janome 1600PQC but it requires special needles and I have really disliked the Janome 6500 which I currently own and am leery of trying another Janome. I would love to talk to other Juki owners and get their opinions on these machines. I also want to get a table and am not sure if these machines have one. Juki dealers in Canada are also very scarce and the closest is a two and a half hour drive.

gail-r 12-02-2012 10:30 AM

I have my Juki in a cabinet and love it. Juki machines are heavy duty, have fast speeds, very easy to adjust tensions. I most often quilt with 3 different thread colors. If you look at the pictures of my Radiant star quilt, I used a pink thread in the bobbin and the top has, mono for the ditch work in the star, white thread for the quilting in the white blocks and shashing, pink in the striped border, gray and a rose in the big border. I start quilting in the middle, by fan folding the edge from top to bottom of the throat and puddle the rest. There is a lot of quilting in this quilt, I used over 70 bobbins and it took me about 2 1/2 weeks. It still needs binding, then I will make matching pillow shams, bed skirt and valences. All new look for my bedroom for spring. I do use a 3/16th's compensating foot for piecing, it gives me a perfect scant seam. This foot did not come with my machine and I bought it on ebay for $6. Machine does come with a 1/4th compensating foot. I don't know what the new machines are selling for, I bought mine on sale for under $800. I haven't had any trouble with it in the 3 years that I have owned it. Hope this helps. Hugs.