Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice. Can I spray baste on a frame? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-can-i-spray-baste-frame-t50490.html)

nursie76 06-20-2010 08:17 AM

OK, here is the deal. I have a 58 x76 quilt almost ready to sandwich. I need to have it done by Friday, and intend to do SITD or quilting lines just 1/4 in in side the block, kind of outline. Now, I hate to sandwich quilts. I have watched Sharon Schambers do it on a table with boards and have tried this method with the basting spray, with relatively decent results on smaller items. I would have to get about 6 foot long boards for this quilt and that is no problem, but I was wondering...is there a way to sandwich it with basting spray (and a few safety pins for good measure) on my frame? I just got a Juki on a frame, but am not talented enough yet, nor do I have the proper rulers, etc, to do any typeof straight line stitching, and an all over meander or stipple just won't do for the design of this quilt. So, it is so easy to load a quilt on the frame compared to any other way, I was wondering if it could be done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Need to get this done for my BIL's 70th B-day celebration on Friday night.

amma 06-20-2010 08:20 AM

Would the over spray be a problem on/around your frame?

nursie76 06-20-2010 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Would the over spray be a problem on/around your frame?

Actually, that was one of my concerns. I might be able to contain most of it with plastic tablecloths, but not sure.

sharon b 06-20-2010 08:31 AM

I would worry about the over spray, also

nursie76 06-20-2010 08:37 AM

K, that is what I was thinking, I will have hubby get me some 6 foot long boards and do it the Sharon Schambers way, but with spray basting instead of hand basting.

Thanks for the input.

craftybear 06-20-2010 09:26 AM

I hope you get it figured out, do you have room to do it in the garage???

nursie76 06-20-2010 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I hope you get it figured out, do you have room to do it in the garage???

Unfortunately, don't have a garage :cry: , but, I do live in the backyard of the church and as the organist have the key. One of the ladies in the church told me that sometimes she sandwiches quilts up at the social hall on the large tables, so if I cover the tables well, that might be an option. DH said he would help, and he is off getting boards so I can do it the Sharon Schambers way. Wish me luck everyone. 8-)

BKrenning 06-20-2010 06:59 PM

You could get some Vanish Extra thread and use your Juki & Frame to baste it. No sticky mess or smell to worry about. You would also be practicing your quilting at the same time. Just load up a bunch of bobbins with the Vanish Extra and meander around or do X's all over the quilt. Take it off and quilt as usual at the machine.

I have actually tied a quilt on the machine quilting frame. Worked like a charm. No crawling around on the floor or stinky basting spray.

nursie76 06-20-2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
You could get some Vanish Extra thread and use your Juki & Frame to baste it. No sticky mess or smell to worry about. You would also be practicing your quilting at the same time. Just load up a bunch of bobbins with the Vanish Extra and meander around or do X's all over the quilt. Take it off and quilt as usual at the machine.

I have actually tied a quilt on the machine quilting frame. Worked like a charm. No crawling around on the floor or stinky basting spray.

Now that is an idea...where would I get Vanish Extra thread? Is it water soluble thread? I need to have this done by Friday at noon and have to work, so I wouldn't have time to mail order it. Also, I wonder if the Juki would like it. Do you just put it in the bobbin and use regular thread on top?

BKrenning 06-20-2010 07:55 PM

Yes it is a water soluble thread and you use it on top and bobbin. I got mine from Shoppers Rule but unless you live near St. Louis, Missouri, internet orders for you. I believe it is a Superior thread product so it might be at Joann's or Hancock Fabrics also.

They make a couple different versions of it. You will want the "Extra" version for machine sewing. There is a cheaper/weaker version for hand basting.