Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice finishing quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-finishing-quilt-t210465.html)

Kaat 01-08-2013 03:40 PM

Need advice finishing quilt

2 Attachment(s)
I have made a few quilts but never anything but squares. I now see I should have watched a few videos before attempting triangles. The problem now is I want to hand quilt it but the colors are too different. I was planning on using off white quilting thread and stitching in the ditch. However, that was before I decided to put bright blue water next to brown boats. I have read that invisible thread should not be used for hand quilting. Any advice on how I should quilt this? BTW machine quilting is not an option.
I am kind of embarrased about the close up, but really need advice on how to quilt it.

katier825 01-08-2013 04:09 PM

If you are going to stitch in the ditch, I don't think it will matter much which color you use.

craftygal63 01-08-2013 04:12 PM

I think your quilt top is delightful! Off white quilting should be fine. Keep up the good work.

Patti25314 01-08-2013 04:13 PM

I agree with Katier825. But you could use an off white to make sure it fades into the fabric.

dunster 01-08-2013 04:39 PM

If you're hand quilting, don't SID. You can stitch with blue thread on the blue water and with brown thread on the brown boat. It will be lovely. If you're worried about your stitches not being perfectly uniform - don't! They will improve with practice. (I say that despite the fact that I'm not a hand quilter, but I sure admire those who are.) And I can't find anything to be embarrassed about in your close-up picture. You've done a wonderful job!

nativetexan 01-08-2013 04:53 PM

what dunster said! since you are hand quilting, just stitch with colors that go in those areas and don't try to hide the thread. it won't work. your quilt is lovely!! have fun.

Kaat 01-08-2013 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5772222)
If you're hand quilting, don't SID. You can stitch with blue thread on the blue water and with brown thread on the brown boat. It will be lovely. If you're worried about your stitches not being perfectly uniform - don't! They will improve with practice. (I say that despite the fact that I'm not a hand quilter, but I sure admire those who are.) And I can't find anything to be embarrassed about in your close-up picture. You've done a wonderful job!

. so-- it is okay to use different colors? I thought about quilting waves on blue and some sort of brown lines on the boats-not sure what else, but thought the back may not look right using different colors

Dina 01-08-2013 05:32 PM

I actually like how the back looks when different colors have been used. Just looks good to me.

Dina

mighty 01-08-2013 06:18 PM

Your quilt is really great! I think off white would be fine.

reneaunoel 01-08-2013 06:47 PM

Wow, that is truly beautiful! Nothing to be ashamed of in that piecework! As for the quilting, I'd say lighter or darker brown thread (variegated?) lines as if to show "planks". Blue, green or white on the water for wave shapes and white in the sky in cloud shapes. You are doing all the work, don't be afraid to show off the design a little! And don't forget to put the story on your label for the back, it's a story that will be cherished through generations!

Just went back and looked at your work. Any design you add to it will be perfect! And I love that you want to hand quilt. Maybe I'll try that in my next life!