Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Advice on How to Attach Batting to Insulation Board... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-how-attach-batting-insulation-board-t195715.html)

aorlflood 07-25-2012 10:06 AM

Need Advice on How to Attach Batting to Insulation Board...

I'm making a new design wall out of 3/4" insulation foam board and batting.

If anyone has made one like this, how did you glue the batting to the board?
I have spray adhesive and decoupage glue and was wondering which would work best?

I'm going to pull the batting around to the back of the board and staple it to the back, too.

Any advice is welcomed! :)

Prism99 07-25-2012 10:20 AM

I just saw one. They had built a 2x2 frame to hold the insulation foam boards and the quilter simply wrapped flannel fabric around it and stapled it to the back of the wood. She said the flannel held the pieces well without pins. There was a little bit of space between the flannel and the foam insulation, but that did not seem to affect anything. She could still pin into the insulation when necessary. She had a lap size batted quilt pinned to it when I saw it last week.

I used to have a design board covered with Warm and Natural batting, but actually think flannel would be better (at least if you have cats who like to brush up against the bottom of the design board.....). I did have difficulty with large blocks sticking to the batting.

PaperPrincess 07-25-2012 10:50 AM

I know that some folks do use batting, but i think that flannel will hold up better. I just pulled mine to the back and stapled it.

kathy 07-25-2012 10:56 AM

I smeared a LOT of watered down elmer's on my insulation and smoothed the felt over it, it's just a tiny bit baggy in a few places but not enough to cause problems

Deborahlees 07-25-2012 11:03 AM

Oh...oh...oh.... I LOVE my design wall...made it out of the super light weight foam insulation sheets, I got two sheets from Home Depot, even talked the guys into cutting it for me, right down the middle. I purchased 1" and 1-1/2", like the 1-1/2" the best.
I used Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive by 3M. I had white all cotton flannel that I cut to fit and covered top to bottom. Then I used Gorilla Tape (much stronger than Duct tape)on the back to hold my two 2 foot pieces together, and now I can fold them in half and store behind my door when needed......
My "Sewing Studio" is upstairs, so I put my design wall first infront of my closet in my room, but as my project starts to grow.....I move it out to the hallway, that way I can look at it from a farther distance, which is really needed some times. With the flannel it will usually 'hold' a simple block, but as my pieces start to be sewn together then I use pins....when not in use I store then pins on the side of the foam sheets......Oh how I love my wall.........;)

ArtsyOne 07-25-2012 11:36 AM

I don't have batting on my foam insulation sheets either. Just used the 1.5" sheets and store them behind my door. when I'm ready to "design" I pin a sheet of white flannel along the top and sides. The flannel will hold individual blocks, but when I've got the top done and I'm trying to decide on borders, then I just pin straight through.

MTS 07-25-2012 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees (Post 5393570)
I used Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive by 3M. I had white all cotton flannel that I cut to fit and covered top to bottom. Then I used Gorilla Tape (much stronger than Duct tape)on the back to hold my two 2 foot pieces together, and now I can fold them in half and store behind my door when needed.

I also used a spray adhesive (can't remember if it was 404 or CraftBond) to attach batting to my 3 insulation sheets, and secured the edges with Duct tape.

As noted above, they need to be resecured, and I will use Gorilla tape this time.
Thanks for the tip.
But even the Duct taped lasted for a couple of years.

I used the 3/4" boards - they are sturdy enough to stand on their own without sagging, and they're covered on both sides.
I didn't want to deal with the styrofoam pieces crumbling over time.
The cost was under $12 each.

Out of all the quilting related contraptions and notions and equipment I've bought over the years, the boards were certainly the most bang for the buck.

My boards are always up so I luckily don't have to worry about storage.

Jan in VA 07-25-2012 01:34 PM

I've used both flannel and cotton batting, and really like batting, and attach mine with duct tape.

Jan in VA

BellaBoo 07-25-2012 02:54 PM

I stapled felt to insulation boards and then stapled the boards to the wall. The staple leave tiny holes. I used long staples in a staple gun, not the regular staples.

IAmCatOwned 07-25-2012 03:42 PM

I was going to make one just like yours, but our local fire captain overheard me and asked me not to. He said having such a large board is a fire hazard and it would be safer to use something like luan (sp?) for the board. He's not too hot on the batting either, for what it's worth, and suggests flannel instead. NO quilter has had a fire yet in our community, but three house fires right in my neighborhood were caused by unattended candles!

What I'd prefer to do is develop a design roll, so that I can roll my design wall up when not in use until some day when I again have a room devoted to quilting!