Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice on how to quilt a vintage top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-how-quilt-vintage-top-t111377.html)

Happy Treadler 03-28-2011 05:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I had recently been given an unfinished quilt top that was found in an attic that was pieced by my SIL's grandmother. My SIL is THE best aunt to my children, and I'd love to finish the top for her. I wondered if anyone had any advice first of all, how old this top may be (it sure is bright!), secondly, how'd you suggest quilting it (pattern) & the technique (machine or hand quilted). It's a very long & skinny top, and I was thinking about maybe adding white borders to try to even it out a bit.

suezquilts 03-28-2011 05:09 AM

It does look like it is in great shape. I'm wondering what you are thinking of doing with this?
If it is just going to be hung and looked at, I would leave it and hanging it this may be a perfect size.

I hand quilted them if they looked like "new" fabric.

No other great ideas, sorry. beautiful quilt!

erstan947 03-28-2011 05:11 AM

I had 3 from my Grandmother and I hand quilted them. My mom and grandmother always quilted ¼ inch out from the seam. So that is what I did. I have also seen some machine quilt these old tops and they look very nice. Be sure to show us your progress:)

sharoney 03-28-2011 05:13 AM

IMHO, I would hand-quilt. But that's just me.

clem55 03-28-2011 05:26 AM

I'd be tempted to remove the two bottom rows, add those to the side, use the extra for pillow shams, add a pretty solid border and hand quilt with that longer 1/4 inch stitch.

Happy Treadler 03-28-2011 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
I'd be tempted to remove the two bottom rows, add those to the side, use the extra for pillow shams, add a pretty solid border and hand quilt with that longer 1/4 inch stitch.

That's a good idea, Carol. I do want to keep this quit as traditional as I can. I was thinking handquilting would be the way to go, and if I move the blocks to 'square it up' a bit, I think it'd be a much better size, even if it was hung. Right now it's L-O-N-G and skinny. :)

Keep the ideas coming!

huntannette 03-28-2011 08:08 AM

that was my thought as well...nice find!!

Happy Treadler 03-28-2011 08:13 AM

DUMB question, but when you say that "longer 1/4" stitch", do you mean the length of the hand quilting stitch??

I'm so excited to get started. :)

QuiltnNan 03-28-2011 08:26 AM

I dont think I'd use white for the border. I'd probably do a narrow pale yellow and a wider one of the blues. As far as quilting goes, are the blocks sewn together well. If not, machine quilting might get stuck in a seam. I'd probably want it hand quilted.

Vicki W 03-28-2011 08:47 AM

Looks to be in feedsack so I would think c1930. The pattern is log cabin. I would quilt by hand.

It seems to be in lovely condition.