Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need advice for VA nursing home quilt gift (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-va-nursing-home-quilt-gift-t103799.html)

MOMBASIL53 02-28-2011 02:46 PM

I would recommend you washing it yourself......my dad was in a nursing home and we had to label everything and things still got lost. I would recommend that you tell them that you will take itt home and wash it when it is needed. There were sseveral things that just dissappeared...forever. Others showed up but I wouldn't take the chance. Judy

okiepastor 02-28-2011 02:49 PM

I would use a blanket--stands up much better to washing and abuse! And they are light, though warm.

lots2do 02-28-2011 05:11 PM

I feel reassured that Warm and Natural is a good choice. I'm really excited about this project. Have most of the cutting done and have started to piece. We are on school vacation and this is just the project to get done. I'm planning to applique his name on the top and also mark with permanent marker. I know how it is with things disappearing...my dear MinL has dementia and keeps giving her eyeglasses away because they are not hers. This will be my first bedsized quilt..yippee!
Thank you again,
lots2do

Lori S 02-28-2011 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by RUSewing
Also be sure to put his name on it with permanent ink. Don't know about the VA, but sadly some things 'disappear' in some nursing homes.

I agree , make sure the name is permament , and best if its more than one place, maybe have someone embroider a square with his name.
Think about using fleece or flannel as a backing , for a few reasons, its a bit warmer, and they do not slip off as easy.

lclang 02-28-2011 08:52 PM

If you have enough fabric left over you might make him one of those bedside pockets that slip under the mattress so that he can have tissues, his glasses, or a book handy and can reach them from his bed. I spent a month in a rest home after a surgery and found out that everything you need is out of reach most of the time.

lots2do 03-01-2011 04:07 AM

I have a ton of flannel so that would not be a problem. I like the pocket idea too. He only has the use of one hand so I'll have to do some research on that.

katrbee 03-01-2011 05:05 PM

When we made quilts for the long term beds at our local hospital, they asked us to use the poly fil so they would last. We were replacing quilts that had been made five years ago and now look like antiques a 100 years old, so we cut those up into little bunnies and dolls and pillows and sell at our quilt show bazaar.

sushi 03-01-2011 05:16 PM

I have used fleece as batting, and it makes for a very warm and durable quilt.

lclang 03-02-2011 08:13 AM

In our area we occasionally see the fleece throws for $2.00 each. They make excellent backing or batting either one. Since the fleece is kind of stretchy if I use it for backing I use the spray adhesive to attach it to the batting or quilt top so it won't stretch and wrinkle during quilting.