Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Advise on BASTING Spray FOR QUILTS (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advise-basting-spray-quilts-t167993.html)

IdahoSandy 11-14-2011 09:16 AM

Want to thank all of you for the advice on spraying a quilt together. Hugs,
IdahoSandy

carslo 11-14-2011 12:07 PM

I use 505 in the red can, I do mine on the floor and then wash the over spray off the floor, I have done up to a super king size with spray basting. It is wonderful, no pins and I have not had any trouble with needles gumming up.

JUNEBUG 11-15-2011 12:39 PM

If I hand quilt sometimes it may take a few months to get the quilting finished will the spraying last that long? Does the needle go thru the layers or will it get gummed up.

QuilterGary 11-15-2011 12:52 PM

I use the same method as Grambi. I learned on my first quilt to not use too much. This is the only method I would use.

QuilterGary 11-15-2011 12:57 PM

I use Grambi method. Works great. Use sparingly or it will gum up the needle.

calla 11-15-2011 01:20 PM

I used some 505 spray on a wall hanging and it left a spots. The fabric did have some synthetic in it. Therefore I have not used it since. But I do remember that one should remove their eye glasses when using and good ventalation..............

Digitizingqueen 11-15-2011 02:39 PM

When I did mine (before I got my long arm) I didnt use basting spray I just used lots and lots of safty pins (I was doing crosshatch so I knew were not to put them (pined on my dining room table covered in cardbord (thick) so as not to scratch my table - I then double check for lumps on the opisite side....

Peckish 11-15-2011 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Donna H-M (Post 4676804)
I use 2 tables outside in my garage. I tape edges of backing down. Then I layer and smooth everything out. I fold back one side of batting and top, spray onto backing, lay back in place and smooth. Repeat other side. I then fold back top and spray onto batting, lay back and smooth. Repeat and it's done. Never had a problem and wouldn't do it any other way.......Donna

This is how I do mine, I lay it out on the carpet in the front room. That old carpet is absolutely awful to vacuum, it's nylon and thread sticks to it like it's Velcro. I have to use a stiff chenille brush to get stray threads out of it. But, that makes it GREAT for basting quilts, hee hee! I lay the back down, stick some pins in the corners, and it's not going anywhere! I'm also cautious when spraying near the edge, I spray from the outside of the quilt inwards.

dublb 11-15-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEBUG (Post 4683260)
If I hand quilt sometimes it may take a few months to get the quilting finished will the spraying last that long? Does the needle go thru the layers or will it get gummed up.

The first quilt that I spray basted I used Sullivans & then thread basted it also. I took me 2 1/2 yrs to hand quilt it. I didn't need the thread basting 'cause the spray basting lasted!

My needle didn't gum up. I did not even notice any difference.

KerryK 11-15-2011 06:34 PM

Once you spray the basting spray, can your backing or top be repositioned, if it's done within a few minutes? I bought some Dritz, but have not had occasion to use it yet. I'm sorta intimidated by it, afraid I'll have wrinkles or bubbles or ???