Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   In need af an answer regarding walking foot. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-af-answer-regarding-walking-foot-t174165.html)

nannyrick 01-02-2012 11:26 AM

In need af an answer regarding walking foot.

I was wondering if you all back stitch with your walking foot?
My Juki manual says nothing about it but my Brother machine
says you should not.
The reason I,m asking is I have been locking in my stitches and
the foot, (Juki) is starting to make a groaning noise, (only way to
describe it) and you can hear it from other rooms.
I,m wondering if I did something wrong in doing this or not.
I appreciate input from all you experts.
Thanks,
Elaine

katybob 01-02-2012 11:37 AM

Nannyrick, I think I've read the same thing about not backstitching with a walking foot, but I've never locked my stitches on any of the dozens of quilts I've made and I've never had a seam come apart. I'm a former garment sewer, so it took me a while to get used to it, but it really isn't necessary.

Jan in VA 01-02-2012 11:58 AM

In general with a walking foot one can start out with stitches set very close together, then slowly turn your dial to to the regular length after you've traversed about 1/4" to 1/2" with tight stitches; this will perform the locking for you without having to backstitch. Back stitching in FMQ can leave bumps and blobs on the back of your quilt.

Jan in VA

athomenow 01-02-2012 01:16 PM

I did not know you shouldn't back up with a walking foot. OOpps! I will stop doing that because I don't need it to get ruined or something else crazy to happen.
Thanks

pocoellie 01-02-2012 01:28 PM

I would have to say that if your machine says not to back stitch with the walking foot, then don't do it. My machine doesn't say, and I've back stitched plenty of times with the walking foot on, and never had any problems with it or my machine.

tjradj 01-02-2012 01:32 PM

My Janome machines don't say anything about not backstitching - I do it all the time without a problem. One has the built in foot and the other is an after market add on.
I agree though, if your manual says not to do it, don't :)

sandilee 01-02-2012 01:35 PM

I have a Brother and my manual says NOT to backstitch, but I do occasionally. I have been trying to stop this habit as I know the stitches will be locked in when I sew on the binding.

Holice 01-02-2012 01:37 PM

i believe the walking foot is made to only go forward. back stitching goes against it's normal direction.

sandybuttons 01-02-2012 02:38 PM

My walking foot goes any direction I ask it to, did not know you are not to back stitch. Darn now it will have problems :eek:

deemail 01-02-2012 03:10 PM

i've had a walking foot on my pfaff for 32 years and have backstitched every seam for 32 years.... but this is built in....i don't know about the add-on feet...