Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need an alternative to pinning on the floor (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-alternative-pinning-floor-t102288.html)

sewTinker 02-24-2011 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by SharonC
I placed a large tablecloth (vinyl) on the garage wall, using velcro.

SharonC! I love this velcro idea. I wanted to use this method and the only suitable wall is in my hallway. The thought of taping newspaper to the wall discourages me, and I end up on the floor. But the velcro idea is Fabulous!!! I'll be able to leave the velcro on the wall and simply fold up the tablecloth when I'm done. I love it when people think outside the box... Thanks!!

pollyjvan9 02-24-2011 06:54 AM

For about 3 years I have been sandwiching my quilts on my design wall. Nothing fancy. Just 2 sheets of rigid insulation I bought at Home Depot. I don't put felt or flannel or the insulation. Pin your backing on the insulation, smoothing well, pin at top and along the sides and along the bottom. Spray with spray baste, put your batting on and using straight pins attach to the backing. Spray baste the batting and then attach the quilt top. I usually put a few safety pins around the edges just to keep it stable while I am wrestling it around for the quilting.

BellaBoo 02-24-2011 07:05 AM

Sharon Schamber methods works great for guild basting days. Everyone loves to sit and baste and talk.

SharonC 02-24-2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by sewTinker

Originally Posted by SharonC
I placed a large tablecloth (vinyl) on the garage wall, using velcro.

SharonC! I love this velcro idea. I wanted to use this method and the only suitable wall is in my hallway. The thought of taping newspaper to the wall discourages me, and I end up on the floor. But the velcro idea is Fabulous!!! I'll be able to leave the velcro on the wall and simply fold up the tablecloth when I'm done. I love it when people think outside the box... Thanks!!

You're so welcome! This has saved me so much pain and since it's quicker I tend to quilt as I finish tops, instead of accumulating tops like I did in the past :)

nativetexan 02-24-2011 08:20 AM

i used my folding table a lot. first it was my folding brown picnic table but then i got the white one at JoAnn's. i pin the center, then move the quilt, reclip the edges, pin and so on.

susanwilley 02-24-2011 09:01 AM

I can't get on the floor either. I intend to buy 2 or 3 sheets of that insalation(spelling???oh well), tape them together and hang my layers on that and spray baste them together. I hope to be ready to do that this weekend. Wish me luck!

Peggy D 02-24-2011 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sashing-Sarah709
Wow! Thank you guys so much for all the suggestions and ideas. :) I watched the videos--I would never have thought of doing it that way in a million years. I think I'll use my table this time since I'm just finishing this quilt but I'm very interested in trying the table cloth on the wall idea. You know, it almost sounds too good to be true! LOL I love this message board and I can't tell you how mice it is that you don't mind letting newbie’s to quilting ask questions. Thank you again for all the good ideas--you guys rock! :)

And thanks for asking the question. Some of us newbies (me)don't even know what to ask. Pinned a quilt on the floor a few days ago, and didn't like it. Lots of great ideas for next time - thanks!

tjradj 02-24-2011 09:50 AM

I have two of the folding plastic tables that are about 3X6 '
They stay behind the sofa.
When I need to baste, I pull them out and place them side by side in the middle of the living room. They fit right overtop of the coffee table.
When I'm done, they fold up and go back behind the sofa.

linda701 02-24-2011 01:12 PM

If you belong to a church, sometimes they will let you take your quilt there and use there tables.

chickadeee55 02-24-2011 01:31 PM

Yep, I think asking at your LQS is a good idea.