Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need fabric/color suggestions for my next project (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-fabric-color-suggestions-my-next-project-t56220.html)

DoxieMom 07-25-2010 02:33 PM

For my next project (a twin or full quilt top), I think I'm going to try a block that is a square on point surrounded by 4 triangles (aka square within a square). I want to use Anita Soloman's technique for fast rotary cutting shown in this video: http://www.hgtv.com/video/super-fast...deo/index.html

I'm new at color/fabric selection and haven't the faintest idea how to choose fabrics for this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

candi 07-25-2010 02:42 PM

I am new to quilting, but picking out colors and fabric is my favorite part. I think of who the quilt is for? Where is it going to be used or displayed? Does the room have a color theme? Does the recipient have a favorite color? And then go from there. For the square within a square, I would probably choose a nice floral fabric or other focus fabric (butterflies, kid's print or whatever depending on the purpose of the quilt), then you can either choose two or four tone-on-tone fabrics with colors that go with the focus fabric colors for the setting triangles. If you want a scrappy look, you can go with any number of colors for the setting triangles and arrange the blocks randomly.
Also you can do a search on the board or the internet in general and take a look at how other quilters used this block.

Good luck and have fun.

candi 07-25-2010 02:52 PM

OK, I was just watching the tutorial you posted and I love it, I may try that myself, thanks for sharing If you want to make it easy for yourself, you can just coordinate five or six different fabrics from the same collection and just cut them into squares and then mix and match for the blocks, or if you have access, buy pre-cut squares bundles, normally they are from the same collection and match.

DoxieMom 07-25-2010 03:40 PM

Thank you very much for the suggestions. It would really help if I focused on who/what it's for!

Originally Posted by candi
I am new to quilting, but picking out colors and fabric is my favorite part. I think of who the quilt is for? Where is it going to be used or displayed? Does the room have a color theme? Does the recipient have a favorite color? And then go from there. For the square within a square, I would probably choose a nice floral fabric or other focus fabric (butterflies, kid's print or whatever depending on the purpose of the quilt), then you can either choose two or four tone-on-tone fabrics with colors that go with the focus fabric colors for the setting triangles. If you want a scrappy look, you can go with any number of colors for the setting triangles and arrange the blocks randomly.
Also you can do a search on the board or the internet in general and take a look at how other quilters used this block.

Good luck and have fun.

CoriAmD 07-25-2010 03:46 PM

I am doing that exact pattern right now. I am using assorted blues (light & medium) for the center square and alternating white and beige for the corner squares. One block has white, the next block has beige. I was commissioned to to this and these are the colors she requested. So far, it is turning out pretty good, but I had to buy different beige. The first I used just didn't give enough contrast to the white. So, "unsewing" 45 blocks.. Now I think I am on track. Will post photos when done, but it will be a while... I am taking my time on this one as I am being paid well to do it.

NorBanaquilts 07-25-2010 03:47 PM

Thanks for the video, That would save a lot of time! As far as colors Candi gave you excellent advice, have fun and pick fabric you love and your quilt be fabulous!

kristen0112 07-25-2010 03:55 PM

I would suggest you do a google search for a color wheel. Print it out (I lamanented mine). When you select a color use your wheel the colors on either side of your color are complimentary. The colors diagonally across from your color on the wheel are contrast complimentary colors (like red and green contrast complimentary colors) I like to have contrast in my quilts I think those colors groupings make t pop.
Another tip I like is using the selevage strip to pick other colors for your quilt. If you find a fabric with a print with more than 2 colors along the selevage are color marks of all the colors in the fabrics. It helps me pick out other colors for the quilt.

DoxieMom 07-25-2010 04:21 PM

I was also beginning to think I should start studying a color wheel. Thanks also for the idea about the selvedge strip--I've admired them but didn't realize how useful the color samples could be!!!

Originally Posted by kristen0112
I would suggest you do a google search for a color wheel. Print it out (I lamanented mine). When you select a color use your wheel the colors on either side of your color are complimentary. The colors diagonally across from your color on the wheel are contrast complimentary colors (like red and green contrast complimentary colors) I like to have contrast in my quilts I think those colors groupings make t pop.
Another tip I like is using the selevage strip to pick other colors for your quilt. If you find a fabric with a print with more than 2 colors along the selevage are color marks of all the colors in the fabrics. It helps me pick out other colors for the quilt.

amma 07-25-2010 04:44 PM

Maybe pick out a focal fabric for the center, then use the selvedge to pick out the corner pieces :D:D:D

littlehud 07-25-2010 05:39 PM

I need to use my color wheel. It helps me pick out fabrics. Then all I need to worry about is the value.