Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help from anyone who has made a T-shirt quilt in the past.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-anyone-who-has-made-t-shirt-quilt-past-t209742.html)

Lstew2212 12-31-2012 12:07 PM

Need help from anyone who has made a T-shirt quilt in the past....

I am making a t-shirt quilt for my husband. I bought the wrong stabilizer, 5 yards of it with no fusible side. Has anyone used the spray adhesive. I over heard a person at my fabric store say you can use it for anything.

This is my second t shirt quilt. My first one came out great. I used all the right materials on the first one.

I hate to waste anything. You should see my scrap bin. LOL

Thanks in advance for the help.

davis2se 12-31-2012 12:10 PM

I would be concerned that the spray on adhesive would wash out, leaving your t-shirt blocks unstabilized. Sorry, but if it were me I'd just gut it up and buy the correct stabilizer.....good luck

dakotamaid 12-31-2012 12:28 PM

I agree with davis2se, the right stuff makes a project that much easier to do. Happy New Year!! :)

Lstew2212 12-31-2012 12:31 PM

I think that will be the best also. Thanks

quiltsRfun 12-31-2012 01:25 PM

Question from someone who has never made a T-shirt quilt but recently got a request. What stabilizer do you use?

Lstew2212 12-31-2012 01:31 PM

[I use a light weight fuse-able stabilizer. This make the t shirts less stretchy. I got my patterns and directions from the internet. Just enter T-Shirt quilts into your search engine.]

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 5752773)
Question from someone who has never made a T-shirt quilt but recently got a request. What stabilizer do you use?

quiltsRfun 12-31-2012 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lstew2212 (Post 5752782)
[I use a light weight fuse-able stabilizer. This make the t shirts less stretchy. I got my patterns and directions from the internet. Just enter T-Shirt quilts into your search engine.]

Thanks for your help.

Treasureit 12-31-2012 03:12 PM

Personally...I think I would try the spray adhesive on an section of a Tshirt that won't be included and see how it looked. You know from having made one already what to expect. If it holds up while you are sewing it together I think that would be fine...once it is quilted it will be stabilized more.

Some of my iron-on stabilizer was loose by the time I got the sewing done. If it doesn't look right...then sell what you have left on here and get what you need.

Treasureit 12-31-2012 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lstew2212 (Post 5752782)

It needs to be NON-WOVEN so it doesn't stretch...it sometimes is hard to find at Joanns, but they can help you.

hopetoquilt 12-31-2012 04:50 PM

The stabilizer is dirt cheap. I would save the other stabilizer for another project.