Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with corner decision...anyone? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-corner-decision-anyone-t3053.html)

lin 11-06-2007 06:12 PM

Sandpat that is an amazing quilt! I love what you're doing for the borders. It is exactly what that quilt calls for.

I think Patrice is on to something here. My very first thought when I saw your question and looked at the quilt was that it would be so spectacular if you could somehow bring the flavor of the compass into the corners, even if only the center of them, or a smaller version. (but then I noticed how large they are in contrast to the border and thought "no" that wouldn't do. :lol: ) But using even a part of the block would be gorgeous.

I also agree with Chele. That really is a show-stopper. :)

sewmuch 11-06-2007 06:13 PM

Thats a beautiful quilt, you did an excellent job on the mariners square :lol: :lol:

ShellyQ 11-06-2007 08:00 PM

That's gonna be a beautiful quilt what ever you choose to do. Just my personal opinion but your 1'" squares do create a lovely mosaic effect and without interuption at the corners will flow beautifully around the quilt. I personally wouldn't interupt the design at the corners, but either way it's gonna be lovely :thumbup:

blahel 11-06-2007 11:22 PM

What a beautiful quilt..that is one quilt i would like to make one day and i love the colors and the mosaic border is just perfect as it sets off all the colors in your quilt...i think i agree that it would look good with the mosaic border all the way around. :thumbup:

Hollyquilter 11-07-2007 04:15 AM

All I can say is WOW!!! DOUBLE WOW!!!! This is gorgeous! What beautiful points on the compass (something for me to aspire to!)

I love the mosaic border and I agree that the 1/4 compass in the corners would put this one over the top. If I may, I'd suggest that if you do use the 1/4 compass corners, make the mosaic border wide enough to accommodate it.

The colors are fantastic too!

Thanks for sharing!

Minda 11-07-2007 05:35 AM

Gorgeous!! :shock:
I love the little squares for the border.

sandpat 11-07-2007 05:40 AM

:oops: Oh, thank you all for the compliments. I had thought that I might try to "shrink" the compass, divide it into 1/4's and use that. I had not thought of doing it with rounded corners though...hmmmm..what a great idea. I think I'll use the dark blue for the binding and am planning to do some trapunto work in the blue squares..maybe feather wreaths or even a mariners compass.

Thanks for all the thoughts..I think I will try to do a small compass ( maybe I'll try to learn to paper piece to do that) and audition all of your ideas. I always have to lay them out to look and think about for a while before actually doing anything. I've only been quilting for a little over a year...so I'm kind of slow in making decisions.

Thanks again for all the compliments.

vicki reno 11-07-2007 10:57 AM

It is drop dead gorgeous already. No matter what you decide, it is a stunning quilt!

quiltmaker101 11-07-2007 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
do you have enough of the right fabrics left to make one more inner circle? if you did, and divided it into quarters (plus seam allowances), you could put one on each corner of the quilt. it would keep the compass theme intact, be an unexpected bonus in the border and ... the best part ... rounded corners are soooooo much easier to bind. :P

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking!

2 votes for the quarter compass as cornerstones!

N.J.linda 12-17-2007 05:47 PM

you could use 1/4 of that beautiful mariners compass that is in the center part of the quilt......I've done that and it really sets it off.