Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need help enlarging a pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-enlarging-pattern-t32413.html)

lisalovesquilting 12-27-2009 03:20 AM

I was just reading that someone took a pattern from Karen Comb's book Celtic Illusions and enlarged it. The pattern is for a 24" wall hanging, and she enlarged it to 72". Not by making more blocks, just enlarged the whole thing. How would that be done? Thanks

ghostrider 12-27-2009 04:37 AM

Enlarging from 24" to 72" is simply three times bigger. For every piece in the pattern, subtract the ½" seam allowance from both the length and the width, multiply both by three, then add the seam allowance back to each.

For example, say there is a cut piece in the pattern that is 2½" x 4½". You would subtract the seam allowances (getting 2" x 4" ), multiply by three (getting 6" x 12" ), and add back the seam allowances (getting 6½" x 12½" ). So the new measurement for cutting that piece would be 6½" x 12½". Do that for all the pieces in the pattern.

Probably the best way to keep track of it would be to make a list of all the pattern measurements in one column and then all the enlarged measurements beside them in a second column.

lisalovesquilting 12-27-2009 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Enlarging from 24" to 72" is simply three times bigger. For every piece in the pattern, subtract the ½" seam allowance from both the length and the width, multiply both by three, then add the seam allowance back to each.

For example, say there is a cut piece in the pattern that is 2½" x 4½". You would subtract the seam allowances (getting 2" x 4" ), multiply by three (getting 6" x 12" ), and add back the seam allowances (getting 6½" x 12½" ). So the new measurement for cutting that piece would be 6½" x 12½". Do that for all the pieces in the pattern.

Probably the best way to keep track of it would be to make a list of all the pattern measurements in one column and then all the enlarged measurements beside them in a second column.

Thanks! That makes perfect sense. :D

butterflywing 12-29-2009 06:41 AM

since i'm lazy, i would tape the original to a window, tape a paper over it and trace. keep the original, but cut the copy into 9 pieces. remove the seam allowance. take the pieces to a copy store and enlarge each piece 3x. add the allowances back and tape the paper pattern together.

janice4 01-10-2010 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider

Thanks for this info my daughter wants me to make a twin size quilt and the pattern is for a 12 x `18 inch quilt .. would this work ??

Oklahoma Suzie 01-12-2010 05:53 PM

no idea, good luck.

janice4 01-12-2010 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
no idea, good luck.

LOL:)

ghostrider 01-12-2010 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by janice4
Thanks for this info my daughter wants me to make a twin size quilt and the pattern is for a 12 x 18 inch quilt .. would this work ??

The proportions are not the same between a 12x18 piece (length is 1.5 times width) and a twin size quilt (length is 1.3 times width), but if you are flexible in your size, it would work, yes. If you use a factor (what you would multiply all the measurements by after subtracting the seam allowance) of 5.5, your quilt would be 66x99 and if you use a factor of 6, it would be 72x108. Both of those would work for a twin bed. Does that make sense to you?