Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Help Identifuing a Quilt Pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-identifuing-quilt-pattern-t150485.html)

BETTY62 09-04-2011 11:51 PM

I need help identifying the name of a quilt block I saw so I can find a pattern to make the block. It is made with 8 diamond shaped pieces that are sewn together to form one 8 pieced pointed star. The star was then appliqed on to a square block that appeared to be about 12 inches in size. I have tried to cut diamonds that would form the star but I am not great with math and I can not figure out the correct portions for this. I can come up with a size for 6 or 7 points but not 8. I have tried to look up patterns with names such as: 8 Pointed Star, Pointed Star, Star Block and Pieced Star Block but have not located the one I am looking to find. I would appreciate any help someone can give me in locating this pattern. Thanks, Betty

CorneliaVa 09-05-2011 12:00 AM

Betty.... In Jinny Beyer's "The Quilter's Album of Blocks & Borders - page 106" there is an eith-pointed star that was first shown in the Ladies' Home Journal in 1896 as the Star of Le-Moyne ....

There is no template .... but I think that each diamond is a 45-degree angled point .... it is either a whole diamond star (eight pieces), or each diamond is a half-diamond in dark-light combination (16 pieces equal one 8-point star) .. (I think in this configuration it is listed as Silver-and-Gold, or Star of the East.)

BETTY62 09-05-2011 12:04 AM

Thank you so much. I appreciate you quick response.

EasyPeezy 09-05-2011 12:52 AM

It's called Lemoyne star. One easy way is to use HST's (half square
triangles). Here's a tutorial. If you want a 12 inch block you make your
HST's 3" finished (3.5" unfinished). If you need more info. tomorrow I can
help you. Now I'm off to bed. :)

http://roundtheblocks.blogspot.com/2...oyne-star.html

CorneliaVa 09-05-2011 03:15 AM

Betty .... I think in looking at this hyperlink, they are using parallelograms.... not diamonds .....

The Star of Le-Moyne Jinny Beyer shows IS actually diamonds....

The one EasyPeezy quoted looks fairly easy ..... whatever way your vision steers you, go for it .... I have seen some lovely finished LeMoynes on this board .... and without going back to take a second look I don't recall if they wer HST's, paralellograms, or diamonds ..... However you choose, you can't go wrong....

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy

Glassquilt 09-05-2011 05:04 AM

Another link: This is for a PDF file with instructions for a Le-Moyne Star. You need a 45deg triangle.

http://www.jankrentz.com/download/Kr...LMSPattern.pdf

eparys 09-05-2011 06:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Betty - I agree that is sounds as if it is The Lemoyne Star that you are looking for.

Are you are looking to applique this using Fusible web? or do you want to piece it? There are a few variations some use Diamonds and some use the parallelogram.

These measurements are NOT including any seam allowance - if you are piecing it - you would need to add them. For example, for a 12" block using the diamonds, you would draw a 2.5" by 6" rectangle. In that rectangle the diamond would be 3.5" on all sides.

If you need different measurements - PM me.

Diamond Measurements
[ATTACH=CONFIG]251726[/ATTACH]

dasmith2 09-05-2011 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy

Thanks for the link, Ive been looking for this for a while

CorneliaVa 09-05-2011 06:44 AM

Thanks for the illustration..... That makes it much clearer to me .....
When people mention "diamonds" I assume that it means a quadrangle with all four sides the same length -- like a square that has been squashed so that the opposite angles are both the same: 2 45-degrees and 2 135-degrees ..... just as you have illustrated .....

BUT, being new to quilting, I am learning that terms such as "diamond" and "star" and "eight-pointed" can all mean different things to different people ..... That's why I love this Board -- gives many viewpoints to ponder.

An 8-pointed star can have alternating long points and short points, or varying-length spikey-points, I suppose .....

I guess before I hop in to help, I should take all such things into consideration.......

If one uses the "parallelagram" half-square-triangle route, all four sides of the resulting shape are not the same length but it is still surely a "diamond" ......right? And it still turns out a pretty star ..... ....

And is the LeMoyne Star called something different if it is "on-point"?

The Jenny Beyer book I have checked out from our Library is a help .... but it is SO much to absorb ....

Originally Posted by eparys
Betty - I agree that is sounds as if it is The Lemoyne Star that you are looking for.

Are you are looking to applique this using Fusible web? or do you want to piece it? There are a few variations some use Diamonds and some use the parallelogram.

These measurements are NOT including any seam allowance - if you are piecing it - you would need to add them. For example, for a 12" block using the diamonds, you would draw a 2.5" by 6" rectangle. In that rectangle the diamond would be 3.5" on all sides.

If you need different measurements - PM me.

QuiltnNan 09-05-2011 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62
I need help identifying the name of a quilt block I saw so I can find a pattern to make the block. It is made with 8 diamond shaped pieces that are sewn together to form one 8 pieced pointed star. The star was then appliqed on to a square block that appeared to be about 12 inches in size. I have tried to cut diamonds that would form the star but I am not great with math and I can not figure out the correct portions for this. I can come up with a size for 6 or 7 points but not 8. I have tried to look up patterns with names such as: 8 Pointed Star, Pointed Star, Star Block and Pieced Star Block but have not located the one I am looking to find. I would appreciate any help someone can give me in locating this pattern. Thanks, Betty

if someone is looking for the math for the diamond points for any number of diamonds, it is 360 degrees [in a circle] divided by the number of points desired. the graph on the previous post gives great directions for the particular star the OP wants though.