Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with a Jelly Roll Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-jelly-roll-quilt-t200154.html)

huntr 09-10-2012 05:56 PM

Need help with a Jelly Roll Quilt

Hi everyone. I am a Newbie to quilting (literally just started my first quilt). I found the directions for a 1600 Jelly Roll Quilt and thought that even I couldn't screw that up.

Well........ I did and now I don't know how to fix it. I had 2 rolls of 2 1/2 inch x 42 inch fabric. Each roll had 24 pieces. I sewed all 48 strips together thinking that it would just make the quilt a little longer. Now the dimensions are all messed up. It is too large for a throw and not long enough to fit a bed. Any suggesions? I thought about piecing together another Jelly Roll and then adding to the original top strip by strip to get the length of a bed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!

Sincerely,

Clueless

LyndaOH 09-10-2012 06:05 PM

You're not clueless, just inexperienced! You'll get the hang of this!

What I would do is fix the dimensions by adding borders. It's perfectly fine to add wider borders to the top and bottom of the quilt than to the sides. So, for example, if it finished at 60" x 70" and you are okay with the 60" but need it 10" longer, just add a 5" border to the top and the bottom. If you want to add narrower borders to the sides so they match the top and bottom, go ahead and do so.

One of the great things about quilting is that it's your quilt; the only person you have to please is you. There are all kinds of things that happen when we're creating, and sometimes they take us down interesting new roads.

Have fun with it!

LTeachergeorge 09-10-2012 06:37 PM

Don't feel bad, huntr. I've been quilting for many years and did something very similar. I didn't use a jelly roll -- I used 2 Moda scrap bags of the same line. These scrap bags had strips that were 3 inches wide and about 28-30 inches long. I did them in 2 halves (theoretically they should have been the same size (width) as there was the same number of strips, right?). WRONG!! I misplaced a couple strips (found them later). Anyway, I am going to take the narrower half and make a piano key border with it to make it a better size. I would probably get another jelly roll if it is still available and add the strips to the length. LyndaOH is correct -- the only person you have to please is yourself!! I always say that 90% of quilting is "problem solving." LOL Good luck! Linda in MIssouri

irishrose 09-10-2012 06:38 PM

How big is it now? Throws come in all kinds of sizes.

Tashana 09-10-2012 07:10 PM

You can always add a border. I usually use 60 strips so my quilt is actually 2400 and the dimensions are 65ish x 85ish. Do not get stressed over dimensions. It is going to be a great throw/quilt no matter what. Just keep on going! Good luck and post a picture when you are done so that we can see that beauty.

QuiltnNan 09-11-2012 03:28 AM

my first thought, too, was adding borders. but another thought is to starch and slice it at an angle in a couple of places, then sew in another color strip. to tie in that color, you could also use that color for borders and/or binding. be sure to post a pic when you finish.

willferg 09-11-2012 06:58 AM

I messed that pattern up, too. I thought some similar fabrics were going to be too close together so I threw in some smaller pieces of other stuff and ended up with a mish-mash of mush. I managed to turn it into something useful (it was a child's blanket), but it kind of put me off that pattern...not that it was the pattern's fault!:p

dunster 09-11-2012 08:19 AM

The 1600 quilt is not that easy, because it's hard keeping a decent seam allowance while wrestling all that fabric. Good for you that you got it sewn together! Now I agree with the others who said to add borders. It will make a wonderful quilt!

Jingle 09-11-2012 09:34 AM

Pleasing myself is sometimes the hardest part of quilting. I usually always end up liking it to some degree. I have been quilting for 46 years. I don't understand some of the patterns real well either.
Welcome to this great site. Someone will always be able to help you, sometimes you have to wait a bit but help will come.

gregoryhenry 10-12-2012 03:22 AM

I think this is way off topic, but I tried to make a new post, and the site would not let me. Maybe because I'm new? Who knows. Anyway, here is my question.
I'm kinda new to this so will take any and all advise. I'm using Moda "Over the Rainbow" jellyrolls. Two of them in fact. All the strips are wider than 2 1/2. They are advertised as 2 1/2 but in actuality they are a little over 2 3/4. Anyone ever heard of this? I'm measuring from side to side, from the outside cut of the pinking sheer cut. Am I doing that right?

One reason I ask is I have bought fabric (not enough jellyroll fabric) to complete my quilt. Obviously if I cut my fabric into 2 1/2 strips they wont fit the jelly roll strips and if I use just the cut strips, those squares will be larger. Correct? I'm doing a nine patch.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Greg