Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with next quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-next-quilt-t90586.html)

irishrose 01-14-2011 06:49 PM

My next quilt will be for a silent auction for Cystic Fibrosis. I am still in the beginning quilting stages, so don't want a huge number of pieces or triangles. The art teacher who requested this said neutrals, but that doesn't fit my color style, so there are none in my stash. I am leaning toward batiks or Moda swirls in jewel tones.

Do you think the qiad Jewel Box in moderate brights and jewel tones on a cream background would appeal to bidders? Not everyone has my passion for batiks.

It's so easy to choose when you know who the quilt is for, but this is driving me crazy. That and the fact that people will be examining my work closely. A regular auction is seen from a distance, but a silent is displayed with a sheet of paper in front of it for the bids. If I could work in blues, it would be more easily sold, but I don't care for blue, so I have none.

I'm going to need a new box of hair color by the time I make a decision. Help!

laureneberhard 01-14-2011 07:01 PM

Don't fret over this....Just make a quilt YOU like. It will be much easier to work on and make it more fun. Also don't worry about it being looked at too closely. The majority of people don't know a quilt misstake when they're looking right at it!!!

Texasjunebug 01-14-2011 07:03 PM

Their Foundation logo is blue - I would think that would be appropriate. Maybe it's the personal preference of the event coordinator. Maybe that person has experience in what will sell easier in that event...

bj 01-14-2011 07:16 PM

I doubt if you are the only one who leans more to brights. I would be more likely to bid on a bright one that a neutral tones one. I say make what you like and they will bid!

irishrose 01-14-2011 07:25 PM

The event is a 65 Roses dinner dance. I am staying away from the rose theme as not many people decorate with real red. I wasn't aware the CF color is blue. I have Tshirts with logos in everything from neon green on white to brights on beige.

Because the dance is late this year, not at Valentines Day, I'm thinking the Moda swirls on cream would have a more springy feel. Some people get anxious for Spring up here in snow country.

My concern with the batiks is that some of them are stretchier than regular fabric. I don't need that for a display quilt.

Lauren, I've loved the Jewel Box for years. I always thought it would be too hard, but now I see how it's done. I just need to practice sewing very straight.

littlehud 01-14-2011 07:32 PM

I think the batiks would be beautiful. And I love that pattern too. Go for it.

Scrap Happy 01-14-2011 07:56 PM

Irishrose, I think it would be beautiful in brights and jewel tones. I love batiks too. As far as people looking too closely they won't be looking at the quilt the same way we look at every detail on the quilts we make.

sueisallaboutquilts 01-14-2011 09:23 PM

I agree with the others. Also neutrals sounds dull for one thing and since you are making it why not use what you like? I think your generosity is wonderful. I also don't think most people examine quilts the way we do.
The other thing is that you want to use your stash, right?
Well then blues and neutrals are out! :D:D