Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need help with pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-pattern-t166435.html)

newbee3 11-05-2011 08:04 PM

need help with pattern

1 Attachment(s)
My son wants a quilt like this any idea how to find the patterns

actually would like to know what is the block on the top left called and also the top one in the middle?? That would be of great help.

thanks

Sadiemae 11-05-2011 08:12 PM

I don't know the top left, but the top middle I think is Jacob's Ladder. You can find it on Quilter's Cache.

BKrenning 11-05-2011 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The closest I can come to the top left block is Broken Star but the color placement is different. The piecing is the same.[ATTACH=CONFIG]282609[/ATTACH]

krafty14 11-06-2011 07:58 AM

The top right is a friendship star on point. Second down in the middle is a churn dash also on point. Looks like they are all made from a lot of squares, qst's, hst's and 4 patch. If you print it out, I am sure you could figure them out. I may do the same. Ann

newbee3 11-06-2011 04:45 PM

thanks for the help.

Quilter Lois 11-06-2011 04:51 PM

OK to find out what the blocks are here is how: Right click on your mouse, click print picture, go to Quilters Cache and compare and identify the blocks. Then print out the blocks and you will have the beginning of your quilt. Hopefully they will all be the same size, if not keep looking and when in doubt - Google It!!! Just put in the size block you want with the name all in quotes and you may get lucky. The quotes are so the whole thing you type in the search will be looked for, not just a few of the words. Good Luck!!

lfstamper 11-06-2011 06:34 PM

Great quilt. A pattern would be nice when you figure it out.

MTS 11-06-2011 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a great setting for a sampler quilt.

I would guess that those blocks are 9" set on point. Maybe even 12" but they don't look that big.

The block size would need to conveniently accommodate blocks with 3x3 AND 4x4 grid designs.
I split the blocks into the two groups - defined by the blue and green outlines.

If look at each group individually, you can see, as krafty14 mentioned upthread, that the sub-units of each block are made up of a few common configurations (HST, QST, FG, 4patch).

So once you decide on the block size, then it really wouldn't be difficult to figure out the size of the components - even if you didn't know the block name.

I have no idea what your skill/comfort level is, but if you're a relative beginner, this project would be a terrific way for you to hone some pretty basic skills that would serve you well for almost any traditional/block-based quilt you make in the future.

Just post here if you need/want more info.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]283130[/ATTACH]

Dolphyngyrl 11-06-2011 08:21 PM

You can probably get out graph paper and make your own pattern, looks like mostly half square triangles and a 4 patch, some are a little different, but don't look too hard to draw out on graph paper