Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help Pricing my quilts. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-pricing-my-quilts-t199555.html)

Yorba 09-04-2012 08:21 AM

Need help Pricing my quilts.

Can ya'll help me with a basic way to price quilts , topper, table runners and wall hangings. I
have made some up for a craft sale and don't remember all the prices on the materials that I have used.
Some were scraps. Is there a set scale per inch or length or size.
Please really need the help?:( You can PM me the answer.

sewmary 09-04-2012 08:56 AM

The simple answer is: whatever the market will bear in your area. Think of craft sales you have gone to in your area. Talk to others who are in the sale. In my part of the world, stuff has to be cheap,cheap, cheap to sell. Unless you have something truly unique that will be "worth" it to buyers, you need to price for your market.

The last craft fair I visited, there were table toppers and pot holders and potato bags and purses and small quilted items all over the place (a large annual fair). Therefore, prices were in the basement.

janRN 09-04-2012 09:18 AM

Same situation in PA as in Wisconsin. I was at a large craft show 2 wks ago and quilted items were not selling. There were at least 4 booths set up with toppers, runners, mug rugs, etc., and the prices were low but still no one was buying. Toppers and runners were $20-45.00. Baby or lap quilts were $45. There were a lot of Christmas items; maybe if the show was held closer to Christmas some things would have sold. The vendors I talked to said it's been like this since last year-very few sales.

Good luck-hope your experience is different than what sewmary & I saw!

Yorba 09-05-2012 09:09 AM

Thanks to all , We don't have many Craft sales around my area , hope I do will.

Tashana 09-05-2012 09:51 AM

I never sold quilts but I did sell glass for a while at various arts and crafts shows on Vancouver Island. I found that the price cannot be too low because people will think that it is cheap rather than inexpensive. Also I found that if I was working on my craft while selling people would flock to my booth. Make some inexpensive things such as tissue holders (see tutorial page) and give them as freebies to good customers or kids with your card attached. I sold as much stuff to people who got my card as I did on the fair itself. Good luck!

bearisgray 09-05-2012 01:15 PM

Something else that was cute and looked inexpensive to make: matchbook needle covers/holders.

Lori S 09-05-2012 02:42 PM

I had a show a few weeks ago. I had the best sales this year than the previous 10 years at the same show. Not all shows are dead.
As for pricing .. its what the market will bear in your area. If you have the chance to go to a show before yours go! Check out the pricing and what is selling. Just be careful not to price too low that you aren't making any money. Always ask your self when pricing... If had to make this again would I do it for the same price?!

ckcowl 09-05-2012 03:47 PM

even if you used scraps- guess-timate the amount of fabric in your item (top, backing, batting) and price it at the average for yardage in your area; determine how long it took you to make the item & decide how much per hour your time is worth... add in the cost of quilting (if you were to pay someone to quilt for you) then decide what your (market) will allow/handle.
ie: table runner 18" x 42" = 1/2 yard of fabric (2/3 to have some fudge room- for backing) then the top is pieced-so 1 yd for that- at $10 a yard = $16 (about) + a craft batt at $7= $23 - took 2 hours to make- minimum wage is ? $7.75 *a guess* = $15.50-----$23 + $15.50 = $38.50...could you get $40- $45 for your runner?? i just sold one for $45. but not at a craft fair- sometimes those get decent prices- sometimes people expect you to give yourself away...have to find out what the market will support.
and you need to figure out your own (formula) that works for you and your items.

pinecone 09-05-2012 07:23 PM

Figure the fabric at replacement cost. I buy most of mine at sales prices but if someone came to me and said I want 10 of those, I would have to probably buy at full price so want my price to remain for like items. Good luck.

piney

lynnie 09-05-2012 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5493313)
Something else that was cute and looked inexpensive to make: matchbook needle covers/holders.

Do you have a pattern for this, or a website
Thanks