Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with purse..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-purse-t223419.html)

MelindaFuller 06-10-2013 06:59 PM

Need help with purse.....

Am making a purse that involves tubes made with long strips of fabric folded around batting and stitched down. The next step is to join the tubes together, two by two. I cannot seem to get either of my machines to do this. I need a wide zigzag stitch, can use a 5.0 on my Bernina, up to 9 on my Pfaff. on both machines, with a 5 zig zag on the Bernina and a 6.5 on the Pfaff, I have tried using a walking foot, regular foot, greater foot pressure, less foot pressure, different size needles....everything I can think of, but keep getting skipped stitches, sometimes big patches of zigzag then a big patch of straight stitch followed by more zigzag. Both machines do fine on even 4 layers of fabric, no batting, or a regular batting sandwich, so I don't think it is a service issue. Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks in advance!

sew_Tracy 06-10-2013 07:15 PM

Try another thread. I have had that issue with some threads.

Daffy Daphne 06-10-2013 07:30 PM

You could also try a different needle. Something like a jeans needle, or a topstitch needle size 90 or larger. Maybe try adjusting the presser foot pressure.

I have that same pattern but haven't got to it yet. Will be interested in seeing what works for you.

Daffy

Peckish 06-10-2013 07:58 PM

Try a larger needle. I made a bag from vinyl (it looked like stamped leather) and got skipped stitches until I used a larger needle. I think I ended up with an 18. And no, the holes didn't look super huge when I was done, either.

Aria 06-10-2013 08:43 PM

Try using paper underneath. You'll have to rip it off, but that's not a big deal.

leatheflea 06-11-2013 01:10 AM

A needle for metallic thread my help. The eye and thread guide on the needle are larger.

joysewer 06-11-2013 04:22 AM

A friend and I both made this purse and had the same problem. Mine was minimal and only skipped a stitch occasionally. When the purse is finished, you really can't tell on mine but I would think if the machine skipped a lot of stitches, then you would see it.

MelindaFuller 06-11-2013 09:22 AM

Thank you....will try all these ideas! I have gotten up to a denim needle and a 16, but will try a leather needle, or an 18, or a metallic needle till I find what works. Will also try a different thread, even if it means ripping out the two I have done in order to get matching thread. It is such a cute purse (have seen two samples) I will keep at it till I win! My Pfaff is better for it than my Bernina because it has a wider zigzag. I will post a pic when I get somewhere with it, and my ultimate solution. Thanks again, everyone!

AliKat 06-11-2013 09:34 AM

We used the 100 needle and it worked really well.

Ginaky 06-11-2013 05:23 PM

I have this pattern and haven't done it yet, so I'm glad to read about the problems before I try it and get frustrated! I hope this all works for you!