Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with a quilt project (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-quilt-project-t192207.html)

CajunQuilter2 06-19-2012 10:34 AM

Need help with a quilt project

2 Attachment(s)
I have a really stupid question. Even though I am not a beginner in quilting I am not always very good at winging it sometimes and I need some help. The attached picture shows photos I want to sew randomly and for some reason I can not wrap my brain around how to do this without making tons of pieceings. I am not sure where to begin. HELP!!!!

Yosamitesa 06-19-2012 10:39 AM

You could applique them on with a satin or blanket stitch...

Is that the background fabric?

AFQSinc 06-19-2012 10:46 AM

When you say "randomly" do you mean that you want them sprinkled on the top they way they are in the picture? If it is then I would frame them with the background fabric to create blocks that are uniform in size then you can just piece them with the background fabric and they will float they way they are in the picture.

Or you could make them the centers of stars (super fast with HSTs). Applique is a good option, too, as Yosamitesa suggested. I'm not good with applique so I always go for the piecing option.

feline fanatic 06-19-2012 11:09 AM

I too have the hardest time with trying to set blocks of all different sizes like that and have them come out random looking. Currently battling that out with a couple of WIPS. I really don't know if there is an easy way or just doing what I do which is place them the way I want them, measure and do the all the random piecing of different size units. I am thinking it would be easier to applique in this instance.

ckcowl 06-19-2012 12:28 PM

find the largest picture & measure it- then take each picture individually & add borders/ blocks/ piecing around it to make it the size as the largest one- do this for each picture- then you can play around with the layout with a group of blocks that are all the same size you can make some into star blocks- square in a squares, log-cabins--what ever to make them each the correct size- if you want to surround the largest block too- do that first-then use that finished measurement.

rusty quilter 06-19-2012 01:07 PM

I would applique them--otherwise you will be spending months figuring out the "piecing"

auntpiggylpn 06-19-2012 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc (Post 5301002)
When you say "randomly" do you mean that you want them sprinkled on the top they way they are in the picture? If it is then I would frame them with the background fabric to create blocks that are uniform in size then you can just piece them with the background fabric and they will float they way they are in the picture.

My thoughts exactly!!!!

Krisb 06-19-2012 04:36 PM

If you want the blocks to be at different angles, you can frame them that way, and still have all finish at a uniform size.