Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with the quilting part (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-quilting-part-t162219.html)

KerryK 10-21-2011 03:34 PM

I've only made three quilts. The first, a king-size, I hand pieced and hand quilted. The second I hand pieced, and the third I machine pieced. The second and third ones I sent out to be quilted.

I am now working on my fourth quilt, hand pieced, and would love to machine quilt this myself, if possible. I have a Viking 940. I'd like to just do something easy to begin with. Would it be easier to SID or do stippling or just meander?

Any suggestions appreciated! I surely don't want to mess it up, and am very unsure of my skills.

QuiltnNan 10-21-2011 03:43 PM

what size is the new quilt

KerryK 10-21-2011 03:50 PM

It will be for a double/queen bed.

sandyo 10-21-2011 03:58 PM

stippling and meandering is fun if you get the hand of free motion.

ManiacQuilter2 10-21-2011 04:00 PM

I machine quilt on my Bernina 1530 so I am not familiar with your sewing machine, Check into getting a walking foot or a free motion foot depending on your chose of method of quilting, But MOST IMPORTANT is you really need to have support around your sewing machine especially to your left. This is so that you will not be fighting the weight of the quilt as you try to machine quilt. I might try quilting something smaller for your first try like a baby quilt. GOOD LUCK !! :lol:

KerryK 10-21-2011 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
I machine quilt on my Bernina 1530 so I am not familiar with your sewing machine, Check into getting a walking foot or a free motion foot depending on your chose of method of quilting, But MOST IMPORTANT is you really need to have support around your sewing machine especially to your left. This is so that you will not be fighting the weight of the quilt as you try to machine quilt. I might try quilting something smaller for your first try like a baby quilt. GOOD LUCK !! :lol:

You're probably right, I should start on something smaller. I need to make a baby quilt for someone, maybe I could try that. If it turns out horrible, I can always donate it to the Humane Society! LOL This is just something I am pushing myself to do. I want to do the entire thing, not just part! Thanks!

ckcowl 10-21-2011 04:26 PM

it is best to put together some practice pieces and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE until you are comfortable with the process and happy with your quilting BEFORE trying to quilt your quilt!
start small (like a pot holder or placemat) if that goes well- try a baby quilt---when that's pretty good try a throw---ect----work your way up- each larger size is a whole new challenge---and no one can just decide they are going to (do something simple) and have it all go well right from the start on a large quilt. PRACTICE- until you are comfortable and happy with it....then quilt your quilt.