Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Help!! In Rapid City and the Black Hills South Dakota (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-rapid-city-black-hills-south-dakota-t22498.html)

beachlady 07-08-2009 03:21 AM

You ladies are all so funny - you all answered about the same time. Rapid City, Spearfish, Sturgis are in the same area, but most of the rest are a days drive away.

Aren't the Black Hills the most wonderful spot to live and play?

pocoellie 07-08-2009 03:27 AM

Welcome from NE CA. Glad you decided to introduce yourself. Sorry I can't help in your request for help, I'm sure someone will be able to, though.

tlrnhi 07-08-2009 03:34 AM

It is a beautiful area there, but NO WAY would I want to live there.

sandpat 07-08-2009 03:54 AM

Thats one place I haven't visited, but from the looks of the list...I'll have to do that now, just to go shopping!!

Welcome to the board and let us know how many of those shops you hit and what you scored!!! :thumbup:

Sheila Elaine 07-08-2009 09:00 AM

Glad you joined us. I'm a Alabama gal. Sorry I don't know the answer. The book someone posted looks like a great start to answering questions. Good luck.

Deb G 07-08-2009 09:28 AM

Welcome from MN :-)

Alreadyaddicted, were are you from? :-)

I just got back from the Black Hills and I stopped at a few places along the way. I didn't get to stop at the ones in Rapid City but I stopped in Spearfish at the Dakota Quilt Company and bought some fabric there. It's so much fun to visit shops in other states, I usually can't leave without buying something(s).

FYI - If you aren't familiar with it, the big Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is August 3 - 9 so if you're traveling 1-2 weeks prior to that or the week after, you'd better check to see if you can get reservations. During that time your chances of finding a motel or campground with vacancies withing 50-100 miles from there are pretty slim. The area is saturated with motorcycles of every make, model, and age. Same with the people riding them. LOL It's really something to see, thousands of motorcycles.....literally everywhere.

Have fun and enjoy.

omak 07-08-2009 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by beachlady
You ladies are all so funny - you all answered about the same time. Rapid City, Spearfish, Sturgis are in the same area, but most of the rest are a days drive away.

Aren't the Black Hills the most wonderful spot to live and play?

My mother is from South Dakota, Rapid City to be specific. When I was still in high school, our family traveled back to South Dakota so mom could show us what she loved so much. As a matter of fact, my mom pumped water for the last troop of horse soldiers as they left the Black Hills. She still keeps in touch with the lady from the Crazy Horse Monument (there is a talented family <g>) .... We stayed at the Rafter J Bar Ranch and mother was so excited to find that it was indeed the old dairy that her family had sold on the move west! The head wrangler at the "dude" ranch was none other than a former foreman from a dairy down the road .... it was like old home week. That is indeed some BIG magnificent country! (and, the world gets smaller <g>)

hokieappmom 07-09-2009 05:37 AM

Welcome to the boards. My husband goes to Wessington, SD hunting every November and has been for about 30 years. Finally, in 2003, he and I took a long vacation and drove to visit his hunting buddies, stopping wherever we wanted along the way. We visited the black hills, corn palace (amazing) and Mt. Rushmore among a few. I love SD.

Shemjo 07-09-2009 06:40 AM

Welcome from Missouri. Sounds like you have plenty of places to visit.

mocha827 07-09-2009 07:38 AM

Ok, I give up....what is LMBO?