Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help sewing a cushion with ruffles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-sewing-cushion-ruffles-t208006.html)

vivientan 12-09-2012 08:30 AM

Need help sewing a cushion with ruffles

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sewing a cushion with ruffles for the first time and it turned out very badly! :( Take a look at the attached photo and you will know what I mean.

How can I tuck the ruffles away safely when sewing the front piece to the backing, to ensure that the 4 corners will turn out beautifully?

Any help on this will be very much appreciated!

peacebypiece 12-09-2012 09:09 AM

#1 Sew the ruffle to the front of the pillow.
# 2 Push the ruffles to the center of the top, then BASTE THE EDGES to the top.
#3 Now pin the pillow top and backing together and sew them together the stitching line on the top piece.
Just remember to leave an opening to turn the pillow right side out.
#4 Stuff the pillow and sew it closed.
#5 NOW YOU CAN REMOVE THE BASTING STITCHES AND RELEASE THE RUFFLES.

Treasureit 12-09-2012 09:13 AM

Nice looking pillow...I also clip the corners after you sew.

Scissor Queen 12-09-2012 09:15 AM

I always just pin the ruffles at the corners with the point of the pin facing the outside edge. I just tuck and fold up all the excess fabric in the ruffle until I can get it all pinned.

rush88888 12-09-2012 10:53 PM

make sure to allow more fabric ruffling at the corners, too.

vivientan 12-10-2012 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by peacebypiece (Post 5708181)
#1 Sew the ruffle to the front of the pillow.
# 2 Push the ruffles to the center of the top, then BASTE THE EDGES to the top.
#3 Now pin the pillow top and backing together and sew them together the stitching line on the top piece.
Just remember to leave an opening to turn the pillow right side out.
#4 Stuff the pillow and sew it closed.
#5 NOW YOU CAN REMOVE THE BASTING STITCHES AND RELEASE THE RUFFLES.

Thanks for the detailed instructions. How do I baste the edges to the top? Can't quite visualize how this works and would need more explanation.

One problem I have is how I should be tucking the ruffles at the four corners. Do I just turn them round the perimeter of the pillow? Or turn them like what we would do with a mitered corner?

Since I'm only having problems with the corners, I'm not sure if it's advisable to just remove the stitches at the corners? Just too much hassle to unpick everything and sew it all together again.

vivientan 12-10-2012 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit (Post 5708186)

After clipping the corners, do u use some kind of fabric adhesive to prevent fraying?

vivientan 12-10-2012 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit (Post 5708186)

After clipping the corners, do u use some kind of fabric adhesive to prevent fraying?

vivientan 12-12-2012 06:21 AM

Can someone advise me on my questions pls? Thanks in advance for your help!

patchsamkim 12-12-2012 06:34 AM

Has been a long time since I made a ruffled pillow, but when I did, I remember having a problem with this too. I think I worked the ruffles around the corners by hand, and then pinned the excess fabric, it will overlap but the pinning helps keep it out of the way of the stitching. Once pinned, I basted it in place, then added the backing, and
sewed on the side where I could see the basting, and sewed around leaving an opening to turn. I did clip at the corners when done sewing to eliminate bulk. Hope that this helps.