Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Help sewing Denim Rag quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-sewing-denim-rag-quilt-t25892.html)

quilter1962 09-22-2009 02:45 PM

Oh Sharon

I do feel for you try not to get too worked up about it. I was going to suggest using a larger Denim needle too. Other than that I don't have any idea other than maybe taking it slowly when you get to where the seam blocks meet.:wink:
I am sorry I have no other advice, I sew with a Pffaff & have no problems what so ever, good luck & remember don't fret now.

Tisha

muffins 09-22-2009 03:55 PM

Will soon be making a denim rag quilt and getting my denim ready by cutting out the denim from old jeans, some I bought at yard sales. I cut around the seams and didn't incorporate the seam. I will be placing a few pockets and a belt loop on a few squares, if I encounter any problems with the thick seam on those few pieces, I will stich them on by hand.

earthwalker 09-22-2009 07:52 PM

I have an old Singer and an even more ancient Pinnock (small industrial). The Singer copes with denim as long as I go slow on the tricky bits and use a denim needle (changed regularly). Before sewing I pound the thicker bits then give them a good press, keeping the seams open. It is not a quick process, so don't be hard on yourself. If you get really stuck or worried you could hand stitch using a sharp mattress needle, but you'll be ok if you just stick with it. Let us know how you go and post some pics.

Gwyn 09-22-2009 08:14 PM

When I but am using denim from jeans, I cut the seams off. Then I use a #16 needle. As I work along, the seams are ironed open to avoid huge lumps and bumps. When I include the pockets as part of the square, I cut it so I don't sew over a bug bump.

Use a strong machine, a good strong needle, don't sew over pins and go really slow. Be patient. change the needle every few hours. That is what works for me. Gwyn

dizzy 09-22-2009 08:49 PM

DEAR
JUst go slow at it an do make sure you do have either a denim needle or
a red needle with a purple end on it.that is what I used for my denim.quilt an i even had flannul on th back side of my squares.that rascule got heavy by the time I got through with it.but it makes a great camping blanket or even one over my couch when it's the rainy season so the pups don't get so much stuff on the couch.

RedGarnet222 09-23-2009 07:05 AM

I also reccommend the denim needle, but also use a heavier, stronger thread. Like a ulpholstry thread.

sharon b 09-23-2009 10:13 AM

I am going very slow over the bulk, but still the thread is breaking :cry: There are no seams from the jeans themselves. It is a layer of denim, a layer of flannel and then the backing which is cotton. But when you get to the seams ( where you join) is when I am having all the problems. I oiled the machine, put in a new needle, new bobbin UGH :twisted:

Where do I get the upholstery thread ? and do I use it the same as regular thread ?

Thanks for all the suggestions

judy_68 09-23-2009 12:14 PM

When I made mine I use regular thread and I had no problems. My singer is great though. It will sew through anything as long as you go slow if its really thick.
Judy

Prism99 09-23-2009 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
IWhere do I get the upholstery thread ? and do I use it the same as regular thread ?

Actually, you can purchase real jeans thread -- the yellow kind you see jeans sewn with. It's a little pricey, I think, and ummm yellow. You would definitely need a larger jeans needle to handle the thicker thread.

It sounds to me as if your machine may not have enough raw power to pierce the denim. I know you have tried this on two machines, which makes this seem less likely, but still...... Do you know anyone who has a different machine you can try? If the machine itself is too weak for this job, changing the needle and/or thread isn't going to help.

Is there a machine you can borrow? Or perhaps you could take some pieces to a dealership and see how other machines handle the job.

dizzy 09-23-2009 03:43 PM

you can also get denium thread I know walmart did sell it because I got
some an used it to sew my brothers welding jacket.An it was leather.