Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need ideas for "Dogs on the Beach" Attic Window quilt: final borders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-ideas-dogs-beach-attic-window-quilt-final-borders-t213031.html)

Friday1961 02-05-2013 08:19 AM

Need ideas for "Dogs on the Beach" Attic Window quilt: final borders

3 Attachment(s)
I could finish this little attic window quilt as is but want to add a narrow border (maybe 1") then about a 4" final border in order to make it bigger (it's now 60 1/2" square). I'm thinking of red for the narrow border (there's some red in the dog images) then a blue to match the blue in the dog images--you can see it in their sunglasses, etc....... or maybe a dark gray, though what this quilt seems to need is more color, not more neutrals. I thought of black for the final but think it would be too stark...and it's yet another neutral. I now regret using the light tan for the window "frames" (sashing) and wish I'd used red or black instead, but when I auditioned the lighter color it seemed to work against the darker "sills". Live and learn! I'm certainly not ripping anything out and doing it over; I'd start from scratch again first.....and I'm not doing that either. :p Apologies for the lack of sharpness in the full photo, not sure what happened. The closeup is my audition of sashing; I include it to show the dogs in the windows better. Thanks for your suggestions or comments!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]393246[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]393247[/ATTACH]

mighty 02-05-2013 08:25 AM

Red and Blue would look good. Also have used this fabric, and navy and rust look good with it. I love your quilt!!!!!

quiltstringz 02-05-2013 08:26 AM

I like the idea of a small red inner border but am thinking that you need the other border in a "neutral" maybe a gray? My other thought for the outer border is a white with black spots, not a polka dot but one that mirrors the dalmation look.

grammysharon 02-05-2013 09:16 AM

I like the idea for red for an inner border but I think the outer border should be dark brown to go with part of the window! Just my opinion!! Nice quilt!!!

Quiltngolfer 02-05-2013 09:30 AM

It is soooo cute! I think it needs a dark brown outer border.

Friday1961 02-05-2013 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 5840013)
I like the idea of a small red inner border but am thinking that you need the other border in a "neutral" maybe a gray? My other thought for the outer border is a white with black spots, not a polka dot but one that mirrors the dalmation look.

Oh, that's an idea! Thank you! Wonder how hard it will be to find a dalmatian like print!

Friday1961 02-05-2013 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer (Post 5840165)
It is soooo cute! I think it needs a dark brown outer border.

I thought of dark brown, too, but thought it might be too much like the mottled brown of the inner frame.

craftygal63 02-05-2013 09:54 AM

What about a 1.5" red, then repeat the the 2.5" tan, then 3.5 blue. :thumbup:

Friday1961 02-05-2013 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by mighty (Post 5840006)
Red and Blue would look good. Also have used this fabric, and navy and rust look good with it. I love your quilt!!!!!

Thank you! It's intended for my DS and DIL who have a dog instead of a child (though I'm still hoping!) I hope it doesn't end up in the dog's bed but if it does, oh well......

Friday1961 02-05-2013 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 5840209)
What about a 1.5" red, then repeat the the 2.5" tan, then 3.5 blue. :thumbup:

A good idea! Thank you.