Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need opinions on vintage commission (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-opinions-vintage-commission-t210440.html)

ontheriver 01-08-2013 10:32 AM

Need opinions on vintage commission

I am finishing a vintage quilt, Dresden plate, made by a friends grandmother. It is all complete except for binding. Hand quilted. I have been auditioning different fabrics for the binding and nothing seems right, they all distract from the vintage ness (is that a word)' it is on muslin background with muslin backing. There is enought extra backing where I can bring it to the front and bind that way. I like that look and is the way I am leaning. What do you think of this idea, or am I thinking it wrong. My friend is going to gift it to her father on his birthday, the quilt was made by his mother. I want it to be mainly her work and fabrics which they have no extra of for me to use. Thanks for any thoughts.

dd 01-08-2013 11:00 AM

I think you should do it that way. Since the fabric is already there, it has to go with it, right? I have a turn of the century quilt from an unknown family member and it was done that way. They only turned over about 1/8" so it's barely noticeable. You know he will love it.

gramajo 01-08-2013 11:46 AM

I agree with just turning over the backing for the binding.

Tartan 01-08-2013 11:47 AM

Certainly you can bring the back over to the front to bind it. That is the way a lot of antique quilts were finished. Another trick for working on antique quilts is to use the wrong side of a fabric (as the right side) for a more muted colour.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-08-2013 11:48 AM

I have seen dozens of antique quilts done that way. In my mind, that makes it OK.

ontheriver 01-08-2013 12:31 PM

Thank you all, I believe that turning the binding to the front is what I am going to do.

ube quilting 01-08-2013 02:40 PM

That is a wonderful and traditional way of doing it. it will be true to the vintageness! You ust post pics' for us to enjoy!
peace

mighty 01-08-2013 09:29 PM

I also would turn it. Please post pic when finished. I would love to see it.

GrannieAnnie 01-08-2013 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver (Post 5771449)
I am finishing a vintage quilt, Dresden plate, made by a friends grandmother. It is all complete except for binding. Hand quilted. I have been auditioning different fabrics for the binding and nothing seems right, they all distract from the vintage ness (is that a word)' it is on muslin background with muslin backing. There is enought extra backing where I can bring it to the front and bind that way. I like that look and is the way I am leaning. What do you think of this idea, or am I thinking it wrong. My friend is going to gift it to her father on his birthday, the quilt was made by his mother. I want it to be mainly her work and fabrics which they have no extra of for me to use. Thanks for any thoughts.

Pulling the backing around seems like the ideal solution--------------the quilt will be completed with nothing new being added.