Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need a quality ironing board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-quality-ironing-board-t214166.html)

BluegrassGurl 02-20-2013 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by slstitcher (Post 5871600)
My dad made me a board to go over my ironing board. I got the pattern off ebay. I did have him make it wider than the 22" it called for. He made it 24" X 60", enough to lay a fat quarter out and iron. I also covered it with the Bo-Nash Iron Slide as it comes in a large size also. Love my board.

Where did you find the extra large size? I would love to have one this size.

soccertxi 02-20-2013 05:57 PM

I have a homemade big board I made myself and a large stationary table I got a piece of melamine (my friend used plywood) cut at Home Depot. Covered it in 2 layers of Warm and Natural and one layer of ironing board fab (she used cotton duck). I have telescoping legs from Ikea to make it just the right height for me. The big board I take to quilting groups with me

VivS 02-20-2013 09:42 PM

I've seen a video of how to make your own custom board especially for quilters (sorry I can't remember if it was on here or YouTube). The person did what others have suggested and got a piece of plywood the desired size and some bolts from the hardware store. Their new piece of plywood has padding put on it, people here have suggested insul bright but people I know (including Ricky Tims at one of his seminars) have suggested going to the thrift store and getting one of the wool (often grey) army surplus style blankets. several layers of this go onto the board and top it off with good quality drill cotton. Attach it to the back of the plywood with heavy duty staple gun or upholstery tacks. Lay it on the floor padded side down. Take your current ironing board and remove the cover and any padding, turn it upside down and put it on top of your new custom made top (so the top of the metal ironing board will be facing the back of your new plywood top). Take the bolts that you purchased with the plywood and screw them through the metal of your old ironing board into the back of your new custom top (you may be able to use existing holes in the ironing board or you may need to enlarge them).
At the end of the process you will have your own great custom made ironing board top that's nice and flat, but still able to be folded up if necessary.
If I find the video, I will post a link so all of this makes more sense :)

mkc 02-21-2013 07:08 AM

Great suggestions for the home made board toppers - first I have to get an actual collapsible ironing board, though. I don't have a normal-height dresser or desk to put one on and no room for a permanent freestanding base, hence my original question about what's a good brand/model. My current setup is a small, cheap portable board on the kitchen counter which makes ironing yardage somewhat challenging.

I will try the garage sales (and thrift stores) for a classic one. We live in a suburban area in Texas where the garage and yard sales seem to be mostly kids clothes and toys.

Thanks!

Michelle

Onebyone 02-21-2013 07:17 PM

I bought this one. I knew I had to have this board when I used one at a guild workshop. Yes my guild has this board!!!!! http://www.reliablecorporation.com/P...ome-Tables/C88

Onetomatoplant 02-21-2013 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by mkc (Post 5877574)
Great suggestions for the home made board toppers - first I have to get an actual collapsible ironing board, though. I don't have a normal-height dresser or desk to put one on and no room for a permanent freestanding base, hence my original question about what's a good brand/model. My current setup is a small, cheap portable board on the kitchen counter which makes ironing yardage somewhat challenging.

I will try the garage sales (and thrift stores) for a classic one. We live in a suburban area in Texas where the garage and yard sales seem to be mostly kids clothes and toys.

Thanks!

Michelle

I have a 2' x 2' piece of wood that I covered with batting and fabric and I don't use it on my existing ironing board but rather anywhere I want it. I used to put it on my spare bed but I like the height of the my kitchen counter so I usually put the board on there. It's awesome.

callen 02-24-2013 05:50 AM

I too have a homemade big board that DH made for me out of plywood & I covered it with several layers of old sheeting fabric. I keep it ontop of a storage cabinet in my cutting room. It's portable & large enough to iron fairly big pieces of fabric. I use my regular ironing board for my husband's shirts where I need a tapered end on the board but my main board is my big board.

patchsamkim 02-24-2013 06:53 AM

I have a homemade big board also that someone local made. I keep it behind my couch. I have a table that is adjustable for heights, and when I want to use my big board, I get out my table, and raise it to the highest height.

Sandygirl 02-24-2013 10:09 AM

My ironing board dates back to the 1970's. it is yellow. No rust. Nothing is built to last anymore. Sad.
Sandy

ArlaJo 02-24-2013 10:36 AM

My GF made herself a large "table mat" type ironing cover that fits her table with all the leaves in so she can iron her yardage. Just a thought.