Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need a question answered (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-question-answered-t223620.html)

Madgie Rae 06-13-2013 02:38 PM

Need a question answered

I am hand piecing blocks for a quilt. The finished blocks should be about 18 inches. I have no ruler that size. Can the blocks be squared successfully by using my cutting mat and the ruler I use to rotary cut? I can't think of any other way to do it. Help please?

omacookie 06-13-2013 02:44 PM

Good Thinking. Yes it can be done. Measure twice and cut once........Hugs

HillCountryGal 06-13-2013 04:22 PM

Don't know why not.
Wondering if pressing your block before you make that final cut would be a good idea?

gmasandee 06-13-2013 04:32 PM

Thats the way I do it. I just make sure that whatever way I begin I stay with that way for all the blocks. I don't change rulers or tapes or mats. They can vary in measurements and I have spent alot of time wondering what and how I came out with different size blocks.

Holice 06-13-2013 05:52 PM

What size. Ruler are you using.

bearisgray 06-13-2013 05:54 PM

Buy a 24 inch ruler for starters?

Madgie Rae 06-14-2013 08:53 AM

I guess the best way to explain what I thought I would do is to press the blocks, place them on specific marked places on my cutting board . . . then use the straight edge of the ruler I use to cut fabric (even up, cut strips, etc.) to trim. I looked online and the plastic square up rulers go from sizes either much larger (201/2 inches square) to smaller than my blocks. Couldn't think of any other way to do it . . . but then, I am still so "green" at all this. I'm big on quilt love, and the actual putting together of the tops, but VERY inexperienced in figuring, cutting, trimming etc. ANY advice or help would be much appreciated. And thanks for those of you that have responded already.♥

AliKat 06-14-2013 08:59 AM

You can always use multiple straight rotary rulers together to get to the 18" measurement you want.

For example, I have a 6"x24" ruler, a 6"x12" ruler, and another 6" or 6 1/2" ruler. I can put one against the other til I get the desired measurement.

MacThayer 06-14-2013 09:03 AM

Just realize that the marks on your cutting board may be different than a ruler. The moral here is: whatever you are choosing to use to measure the block, make sure you use the same method for ALL of your blocks. They may end up the perfect size, or just close to the perfect size. However, if your blocks are all the SAME size, it doesn't matter. Your project will come out fine.

Keep this in mind as you choose to buy rulers. Try to get them all from the same line; for example, virtually all of my rulers are from Omnigrid. When you do a project, make sure you use the same ruler for all of the cutting. That's because rulers can be slightly different, and those slight differences can result in unequal block sizes.

Also make sure you know how to sew a 1/4 inch seam. If you use the same size seam throughout your project, it will help immensely with your accuracy.

Good luck to you, and happy Quilting!

Rose S. 06-16-2013 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Madgie Rae (Post 6120585)
I am hand piecing blocks for a quilt. The finished blocks should be about 18 inches. I have no ruler that size. Can the blocks be squared successfully by using my cutting mat and the ruler I use to rotary cut? I can't think of any other way to do it. Help please?

Are you meaning to square up after you hand piece? I would think you might cut the thread in your seams and if it is actual piecing by hand, that would not be good. Or maybe I am missing something here.