Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need recommendation for floor-stand hoop for hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-recommendation-floor-stand-hoop-hand-quilting-t115184.html)

janecat 04-10-2011 11:02 PM

I am thinking of purchasing a floor-stand hoop for hand quilting. What models do you use and recommend? Hinterberg? Barnett? Grace? Something else?

I would love to hear experiences pros and cons with floor stands vs. lap models.

Thanks so much for your great advice!

Borntohandquilt 04-10-2011 11:42 PM

I use a Jasmine Easy Spinner with a 18" hoop and I really love it. You can rotate the hoop 360° and because of a swivel ball you can adjust the position of the hoop very easily. You can also adjust the height and the floor stand is very stable with it's base plate, even when working on big quilts.
I must admit the Jasmine is quite pricey but for it was really worth to spend the money.
I recently read here on the board that Jasmine closed it's online shop and I don't know if these hoops are still available.

Hinterland 04-11-2011 03:32 AM

I'll be reading this thread, too.

I have a Grace hoop, but to be honest, I don't care for it. It doesn't hold the tension on the quilt as well as I like. Maybe it's me - I prefer a floor frame. Plus, if you're working on a large quilt the post the hoop rests on can get in the way and make it difficult to turn the hoop.

On the plus side, it is adjustable - you could quilt sitting on the floor with it, or standing up.

The Jasmine hoop that Andrea has is hard to find. I've bid on two on eBay, and been outbid every time.

Janet

Debbie C 04-11-2011 03:38 AM

PLEASE try craigslist.com - I purchased mine a few months ago for $200 - a huge savings over the $800 original price tag!!

michelehuston 04-11-2011 03:39 AM

I have a Hinterberg and absolutely love it!!! Always have something on it!

mpspeedy 04-11-2011 03:50 AM

I have both a 24" semi square Grace and a 30" round Hintenberg. I have done probably 100 quilts of various sizes between the two of them. I have one upstairs and on down. Both of them have a balljoint in the middle that allows me to turn the quilt around without having to rehoop until all of the area is done. The Grace frame is more square than round. It also has a lamp attached. The craftmanship on it is better than the other. For small projects I use a PCP frame that I can break down and put in a tote to take with me to Bee or on trips etc.
Maybe because I have been quilting for at least 40 years I have learned the hard way to not try and work on a bigger round frame as I tend to hurt myself reaching to far. I also work very fast so when using a conventional long floor frame I have to use a chair on wheels so I can move easily. If price is a factor they are about compatible.

DawnMarie 04-11-2011 04:24 AM

I have only ever hand-quilted one quilt, and I borrowed my friends PVC Dritz. It worked wonderfully. You can get them for about $100 at Jo-Ann's ($50 if you've got a coupon).

roselady 04-11-2011 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
I use a Jasmine Easy Spinner with a 18" hoop and I really love it. You can rotate the hoop 360° and because of a swivel ball you can adjust the position of the hoop very easily. You can also adjust the height and the floor stand is very stable with it's base plate, even when working on big quilts.
I must admit the Jasmine is quite pricey but for it was really worth to spend the money.
I recently read here on the board that Jasmine closed it's online shop and I don't know if these hoops are still available.

I also have this one and I love it. I found mine on ebay for much less than new. I looked for a long time before I found it though.