Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some advice about a project I am working on. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-advice-about-project-i-am-working-t196113.html)

CajunQuilter2 07-29-2012 10:01 AM

Need some advice about a project I am working on.

I have started a quilt that I need to make longer but wider. Do you think it would look off if I made the top borders wider than the side borders of a single color border

lalaland 07-29-2012 10:07 AM

I personally think you should do whatever you want to your quilt, everything doesn't have to be even or match up. If you are concerned about the look though, lay your quilt on the floor and lay fabric next to the sides the widths you are considering. Then stand back and see what you think. It helps to have one of those reducing magnifying glasses to do this but standing a ways back will give you about the same perception. How does it look to you?

CajunQuilter2 07-29-2012 10:27 AM

thanks lala you are so right.

Krisb 07-29-2012 10:43 AM

Or you could add a border top and bottom that is not on the sides--pieced or not. Everything doesn't need to be symmetrical.

scrapinmema 07-29-2012 11:23 AM

I am making a quilt that needs length added to it so making a small border on the sides. The top and bottom border will be much wider. Have a quilt here that my husbands grandmother made that has a wider top and bottom border than on the sides and it looks great. I agree that it is what looks and feels right to you, sometimes I don't care what other people think.

alfosa421 07-29-2012 11:25 AM

I have done this in order to remind the person getting the quilt which is the top or bottom if that makes sense-you do what you need to to get the dimensions you want. Good luck, Best stitches

mic-pa 07-29-2012 12:16 PM

I have occasionally added a top and bottom border before doing the final border and it looks fine. some times I even piece a border to add in. Its you quilt, and no quilt police, do you thing.

dunster 07-29-2012 01:02 PM

If it's a bed quilt, you will be viewing it on the bed and probably would never notice the different widths.

mucky 07-29-2012 03:48 PM

I have a quilt with even borders on 3 sides and a very small (3) inches in the top. It is either under the pillos and doesn't show or on top looking like the rest of the bed. Often times the top border doesn't show or doesn't look right anyway.

Kat2 07-30-2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2 (Post 5403260)
I have started a quilt that I need to make longer but wider. Do you think it would look off if I made the top borders wider than the side borders of a single color border

I had to lengthen a quilt. I added the extra at the top as that would be placed over the pillows. The quilt design would then be over the top of the bed without any creases to interrupt the design. The extra at the top can then be eiher quilted with a contrasting thread than the background fabric or appliqued with a design

Kath