Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-help-t90700.html)

Lucky Lindy 01-15-2011 07:22 AM

Our Guild is having a quilt show in November. I volunteered to help with doing demonstrations and new techniques. My question is....if you were attending an event like that, what kind of demonstrations or short lectures would you be interested in seeing?

dunster 01-15-2011 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky Lindy
Our Guild is having a quilt show in November. I volunteered to help with doing demonstrations and new techniques. My question is....if you were attending an event like that, what kind of demonstrations or short lectures would you be interested in seeing?

Our guild does these too. Here are some we have done or are contemplating:

hand applique
free motion and SID machine quilting with a DSM
sewing with a treadle (will get a *lot* of attention)
sewing with any vintage machine (e.g. featherweight)
paper piecing
fabric stamping (kids love to do it)
cutting with a rotary blade
how to use EQ

craftybear 01-15-2011 07:33 AM

1. demonstation to show how others to learn to start quilting some basics demos to get more people into quilting

2. hand piecing

3. hand quilting

4. maybe have a make it take it table to teach with small kits to learn some of the cool things, so they can take a small completed item home with them, charge $5.00 or so

5. applique

6. proper way to use rulers to cut fabrics

7. safety with rotary cutters

Shelbie 01-15-2011 07:33 AM

Binding seems to be a problem for many quilters so how to cut and apply continuous bias binding, two colour binding, how to join binding, mitre corners, top stitch, hand stitch or any other binding tricks (use of those binding tools too) would probably be helpful for many. I know I first learned how to make the "hotdog" pillowcase and the D9P at a quilt show demonstration and appreciated both methods. Any of the quilt as you go methods would also be great as many quilters struggle with large quilts and can't afford to send everything to the LAQ.

erstan947 01-15-2011 07:34 AM

FM quilting with a domestic machine.
Paper piecing
Quilting 101 the basics
Dying fabrics
color/value
OBW

Tsanchez 01-15-2011 07:35 AM

Wish I could go to your quilt show. I have only been to one last year. I think I was the only one that was selling anything and I did very well. One thing that they had was the Big Shot pro. Now that is something I would LOVE to have. I cut some fabric with it in a flower design and it was wonderful.

Tsanchez 01-15-2011 07:38 AM

Quilt as you go is something that I want to learn. I am actually taking a class on "Rose Of Sharon" and that one you quilt as you go. I think that would be really helpful since I make custom quilts. I quilt them on my regular sewing machine (I just finished a king size). It's really hard for me because of pain in my neck but I got it done.

dakotamaid 01-15-2011 07:39 AM

Ideas on how to use the pre cuts that are everywhere? Maybe a demo block or 2 depending on time.

carolaug 01-15-2011 07:51 AM

I agree with all of these ideas!!!

Originally Posted by Shelbie
Binding seems to be a problem for many quilters so how to cut and apply continuous bias binding, two colour binding, how to join binding, mitre corners, top stitch, hand stitch or any other binding tricks (use of those binding tools too) would probably be helpful for many. I know I first learned how to make the "hotdog" pillowcase and the D9P at a quilt show demonstration and appreciated both methods. Any of the quilt as you go methods would also be great as many quilters struggle with large quilts and can't afford to send everything to the LAQ.

honeybee_2000 01-15-2011 08:08 AM

I would like to learn quilt as you go too so I can take the block with me instead of having to use bulky frame.