Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Suggestions for a Polyester Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-suggestions-polyester-quilt-t35569.html)

quiltruth 01-30-2010 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My mom sewed a lot for her kids and grandkids and then used the scraps to make quilts. This is a lap-size quilt that she made in 2" squares from the original polyester material scraps used in our clothing before she passed away. I would like to finish it, but since I'm very new at quilting, I'm asking for your help. 1) Do I put a border on it and if so, what kind of material since I don't have anymore polyester scraps? 2) What should I use for the binding and backing on it? 3) I'm just learning to use my long arm for quilting, but would that work on polyester, or should I SITD?
I've been a faithful reader of this message board for some time now and know how good your suggestions are, but I've never seen anything about polyester quilts. Thanks for your suggestions.

Mom's Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63803[/ATTACH]

Maride 01-30-2010 04:36 PM

That is one quilt I would definitely use a basting spray on. I am sure you can find polyesther or similar fabric to add a border. A basting spray will help you control a little the strtching that is bound to happen. Good luck. I love the bright colors.

quiltruth 01-30-2010 04:39 PM

Thank you, Maride. I have never used basting spray, so I'll look into that. The quilt does have a lot of stretch in it.

MaryStoaks 01-30-2010 05:07 PM

I made some poly quilts, I didn't use my longarm to quilt them. I tied them with regular yarn like you would use for an afgan. I used poly batting and flannel backing. These are very warm, indestructable and my grandchildrens' favorites for cold weather. I used a simple block pattern. I bought the poly fabric, very cheap, at thrift stores.

MistyMarie 01-30-2010 05:10 PM

I have only done one poly/cotton quilt because of the panels I used. I would think you would want to have a border that doesn't stretch like the rest of the quilt. That might make it easier to bind and to quilt. I would also think a poly/cotton might work too.

quiltruth 01-30-2010 05:11 PM

Thank you, Mary. We have a number of thrift stores around here so will look there. Thanks for this suggestion.

dakotamaid 01-30-2010 05:30 PM

I would probably suggest a bit heavier than regular quilting cottons. Maybe a twill or chambray? Polyester knit is heavier and I like my fabrics to be balanced. My MIL always backs her poly knit quilts with flannel!! They are also some of the favorites in our family. :-D :-D

littlehud 01-30-2010 08:25 PM

It's a beautiful quilt with wonderful memories.

jbsstrawberry 01-30-2010 08:36 PM

Ball point needles!!! They make sewing poly soooo much easier. They really are easier to tie than quilt in my experience anyway.

mrspete 01-30-2010 08:55 PM

Your quilt is so vivid and pretty. I love color. I kept an elderly lady who used a lot of poly and just didn't like using cotton. She wanted flannel for the backin on them and she was from the mountains. In her nearly a century on this earth she slept under them year around. They can be heavy, but insulating. She left several tops which I've seperated in half and made lap quilts. The elderly love the heaviness of them. By the time they cannot handle the weight of them they are bedridden and they cover their feet. I love doing lap quilts. Some great suggestions here in this board. Dontcha just love it ?!?