Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need your advice please... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-your-advice-please-t98316.html)

Elisabethann 02-09-2011 04:46 PM

I'm finishing a dresdan plate quilt that my MIL started in 1981. I'm not an experienced quilter. I've made some baby quilts that look pretty good and have been loved, but no long term experience here. Some of the center circles just barely cover the the hole the plate pieces leave in the middle;-0 There is no additional fabric to make new center circles and try as I may... I just can't match the fabric from that long ago to make new circles.

It is very hard to applique the center circles to fabric that is just barely there. I was thinking of backing the center circles with fusible web. My thinking is that it will give the piece more stability and make it easier to sew the circles down.

Anyone have any advice? is this a good idea? Do you have a better idea???
TIA

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-09-2011 04:51 PM

That is certainly an option. Be sure to buy a kind of fusible you can sew. Some of it isn't for sewing.

amma 02-09-2011 04:52 PM

I would be afraid that even with fusible, you may end up with fraying if the hole is barely covered. When you say it barely covers, are you talking about 1/16" or a 1/4"? A 1/4" is fine, but if it is less I would find another fabric to use. :D:D:D

MadQuilter 02-09-2011 05:28 PM

I would get some new fabric and recut/resew the circles so the holes are covered.

spinnergs 02-09-2011 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I would get some new fabric and recut/resew the circles so the holes are covered.

I agree, the small amount of coverage is just going to be a big problem later with washing.

CoriAmD 02-09-2011 06:07 PM

This is what I would do also, I am sure you can find something that would look good with it. Good luck and be sure to post a picture when it's done. :)

fabric lover 02-09-2011 10:51 PM

Or may be first sew the circle on a bit larger circle of 'new' fabric ? That way the centre would be bigger, you still use the original center and there'll be just a edge visible of the newer fabric.

earthwalker 02-09-2011 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by spinnergs

I agree, the small amount of coverage is just going to be a big problem later with washing.

I also agree. I know you are concerned you can't match the colours, but if you make all the centres the same it will look cohesive. Hope that makes sense.

It would be a shame to put in a lot of work and have problems with the centres afterwards.

Miss Purple Shoes 02-10-2011 12:30 AM

Could you choose plain fabric for the centres? Maybe you have some plain scraps that you could use. Then you won't have to try to match the older fabric.

Quilter7x 04-04-2011 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by fabric lover
Or maybe first sew the circle on a bit larger circle of 'new' fabric ? That way the centre would be bigger, you still use the original center and there'll be just a edge visible of the newer fabric.

That's what I was thinking so she could use the fabrics that were intended on this quilt, but adding another piece to sort of form a ring around it.