Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Your Opinions Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-your-opinions-please-t48702.html)

KatFish 06-07-2010 10:13 AM

I am looking to buy a new sewing machine. The one a have is a very cheep Singer and it is now making a really loud noise. Since it is so cheep I think I would be money ahead to just replace it. I'd like to stay in a budget of around $300-$400. I would like to be able to use it to FMQ. Can I get a machine to do that in my budget amount. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Pam 06-07-2010 10:40 AM

I always recommend thrift stores and yard sales. Usually these are older machines that have all metal parts that you can learn to clean and service yourself. Most of these machines have already outlived one owner, and like a parrot are looking for someone to take them in.

I am sure there are lots of machines that will fit into your budget, old or new, happy shopping!

hobo2000 06-07-2010 10:43 AM

On Ebay you can get a really good Singer FW for that or less

KatFish 06-07-2010 10:49 AM

Does the feather weights have the drop and sew bobbins or are they all in that bobbin case that is really hard to figure out without thinking really bad words. I jhave a Older singer that my brother gave me for free but I cant get the bobbin back in the little metal thing, and when I get it in it, I can't reach down under the machine with my too short fingers to get it working.

KatFish 06-07-2010 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
I always recommend thrift stores and yard sales. Usually these are older machines that have all metal parts that you can learn to clean and service yourself. Most of these machines have already outlived one owner, and like a parrot are looking for someone to take them in.

I am sure there are lots of machines that will fit into your budget, old or new, happy shopping!

I am planing to look this weekend for the town-wide rummages.

hobo2000 06-07-2010 10:58 AM

Yes they have the side bobbin but the little table lifts up and it is so easy to insert & takeout the bobbin case. It is quiet and you can repair them yourself.

KatFish 06-07-2010 11:05 AM

Thanks. That does sound easy. :D

Pam 06-07-2010 11:22 AM

The featherweights are too tiny to do FMQ. Look on the machines to see if you can drop the feed dogs. I saw a machine here at a yard sale that looked like it was from the 60's, the cabinet looked very nice. I already have 9 machines so I kept driving, but I sure wanted to go back!

I would think that if you are willing to go used you should be looking at less than $100. I would then take it to have professionally cleaned and have a tune up, after that you should be able to take care of it yourself.

Nana2Sew 06-07-2010 11:29 AM

You can also ask at local quilt shops......they often have machines that people have traded-in.
Many ladies at UFO days, have purchased the Janome Gem and they love the machine.

weezie 06-07-2010 01:02 PM

I can only tell you what I would do (because I can ... it is available to me). I would go to my local sewing machine dealer with whom I've dealt for nearly 30 years and look at his refurbished machines. I've bought them before ... and have gotten what were very expensive machines when they were new, at the price of a cheap one, but these previously owned ones are trade-ins, have been serviced by the shop and are a wonderful bargain. The key to this is to have a dealer that you trust ... both to tell you the truth and to be knowledgeable about what machines he sells.