Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Needle Default Position (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needle-default-position-t211856.html)

GailG 01-24-2013 08:39 PM

Now I really feel like a do do bird. Not sure what the "default" was exactly but as I read I realize that I have issues with it too. I have a Janome MC4000. Love it! When I turn on the machine, the needle does a little dance and settles itself "in the middle" position. But it is not actually the middle according several of the presser feet and to the needle threader. I find that if I move the position one to the right it is right on. But as others have said I sometimes forget to set it. It doesn't not hit the foot. If I move the needle on position to the right, I get a scant 1/4 in. I also move it when using the SID foot which is actually the edge stitcher foot.

gramajo 01-25-2013 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by gotta-sew (Post 5811598)
FYI, go to your settings, you can change the default setting to the center. Or you can just move the needle using your width control to where you want it and then save it in that spot. It will always be there.

Please see post #15. Default position can not be changed and I can not move the needle and save it in any other position. This is an older machine and doesn't have the capabilities many of you have on your new machines.

nabobw 01-25-2013 05:50 AM

should be in the center

Pinkiris 01-25-2013 03:22 PM

I have a Viking Scandinavia machine. My 1/4"foot has a single hole in the center. I'd like to move my needle to the right a notch or two (I have that capability) so that my fabric is more evenly over the feed dogs, but then the needle will slam into the foot and break. Bummer.......:(

amandasgramma 01-25-2013 03:50 PM

Dead center ---- but if I want to do 1/4" seams, I have to move it to the right quite a ways. Janome Jem

sewingsuz 01-25-2013 03:59 PM

My machine defaults to the center. I am not sure about my viking.

sewingsuz 01-25-2013 04:05 PM

You need a plate that has more than a single hole and then you can use other stitches. Your machine may have come with two different plates, I hope.

Originally Posted by Pinkiris (Post 5813358)
I have a Viking Scandinavia machine. My 1/4"foot has a single hole in the center. I'd like to move my needle to the right a notch or two (I have that capability) so that my fabric is more evenly over the feed dogs, but then the needle will slam into the foot and break. Bummer.......:(

gotta-sew 01-25-2013 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo (Post 5811910)
Please see post #15. Default position can not be changed and I can not move the needle and save it in any other position. This is an older machine and doesn't have the capabilities many of you have on your new machines.

Ok, I was just trying to help you. I have been teaching this machine for years. It used to be called the espire (around 14 years ago),( Babylock later came out with a new espire that then changed to the symphony.) then it came out as the decorators choice, now it is called the elizabeth. Sure there have been a few tweeks here and there, but basicly the same. I also teach quilting, I show weekly customers that have the decorators choice how to do this very thing.

Let's just go with "it can't be done." Sorry for the post. Best of luck to you.

marsharini 01-26-2013 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by RavenLunaStitch (Post 5811129)
Gramajo has a very important point -- most likely only the newer electronic/computerized machines will have the ability to do this. I wonder if they had so many requests for the center needle default position that they started making the newer machines with this ability? It's possible on mine (Brother XR1300 which is the Costco version of the CS6000i without embroidery/monogramming feature), so it might be worth it to check your manual if your machine is fairly new.

I've had my Baby Lock less than a month, it is electronic and the needle defaults to left. I've read through the manual and there are no instructions or information on changing the default. I'll contact the dealer later today to see if it's possible to change and report back.

QM 01-26-2013 02:03 AM

All of the machines i have used have had default in the center,