Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   It Never Fails (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/never-fails-t202196.html)

Peckish 10-05-2012 09:20 AM

I second the idea of cleaning out your foot pedal. I have a good friend who was having problems with runaway sewing, and not sewing when she wanted it to. Her hubby took apart her foot pedal and it was FULL of hair, dust, and lint. He cleaned it out and it's worked like a charm ever since.

Geri B 10-05-2012 10:22 AM

yuck, what a painful way to remember to clean all the lint we can out of those machines......better check mine before I turn it on today!!!!! Sure it has a lintball or two in it....ready to attack me!!!! Be Well!!!

Luv Quilts and Cats 10-05-2012 10:39 AM

Sorry about your finger! Hope it heals fast! Are you up to date on your tetanus shot? I'm glad you didn't get any blood on the quilt and your hubby was home to help you. Just relax for today and go back to it tomorrow.

Ps 150 10-05-2012 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard (Post 5563942)
You don't mention what kind of sewing machine you have, but I have a Kenmore and it went thru a period of sewing on it's own, too. I feel this is a safety issue and you should report it to the consumer safety commission. Especially since you were injured by this. Mine seems to have been caused by a build up of lint in the foot control pedal, but regardless of the cause, this is dangerous and should be reported!

Thanks, Linda. Mine is a Janome. I hadn't thought about reporting it, but I certainly plan on looking into it, now, and alerting the LQS where I bought it. I've been thinking of upgrading to a new machine next year, but I'm not sure if I'll stick with Janome, now. None of my other machines have ever done this and I really do love their machines, but I'm not so sure, now. I have a 6500 and have heard from others with this same model that they've had issues, too. Perhaps a different model next time.

wildyard 10-05-2012 02:51 PM

After hearing about more occasions of this happening, I went ahead and filed about my incident with the Consumer Safety Commision and with Sears, where I bought it. It is my understanding that Janome is the manufacturer of the Kenmore model I have, but I am not certain of that.

quilt_happy 10-05-2012 03:20 PM

Bleeding

I do carpentry type stuff besides quilting. I picked a fight with my table saw so quilting is on hold for a while.

wildyard 10-05-2012 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by quilt_happy (Post 5564601)
I do carpentry type stuff besides quilting. I picked a fight with my table saw so quilting is on hold for a while.

oh gosh, I don't see how that could come out any way but bad!! I hope your injury isn't serious and that you are back quilting asap. Hugggggggggs........

Material Witness 10-05-2012 04:43 PM

I got a needle through my nail and finger when I was 9. I wanted to clip off the nail when it grew out with the hole in the middle of it, but the nail broke through the hole before it grew out enough. So use nail polish to try to preserve your nail so you can keep it.

lynnie 10-05-2012 05:09 PM

Did that a out 20 yrs ago.
Be careful of a nail or lint fibre in there.
you ould get infected

mrs. fitz 10-05-2012 05:33 PM

Maybe you shouldn't be typing.