Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   new baby blanky (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-baby-blanky-t25699.html)

earthwalker 09-24-2009 06:20 PM

Yes, we definitely need pictures...and you'll need more than one quilt for that small person....so you can run amok and do several different designs!I too love nanabird's quilts, but the others here are beautiful too. I think time will fly with all these projects to do. Good health and happy quilting.

nursie76 09-24-2009 06:32 PM

Congratulations on your new little blessing under construction. Dixiechunk is right. As a nurse who works with expectant moms and their babes at in home visits until age 2, I too teach my moms that babies see clearly from birth approximately at 8-12 inches...and love high contrast black and white geometric shapes and faces. They also are drawn to bright primary colors (and we as parents subject them to pastels. lol). What about an I spy quilt with a selection of childrens novelty prints. Dogs, cats, cherrys, butterflys, etc. These become a wonderful place for the little one to do tummy time which is important to the development of their neck and back muscles (now that it is "back to sleep"). Then as they get older and start to develop language, you can use it as a game, pointing to and naming the different animals, etc. The novelty fabrics are fussy cut and then put into a block such as a snowball block. One of my clients was given a quilt such as this by a college craft group when her little one came, he is only 3 months old, but mommy has used it for his tummy time since he was 2 weeks old and she says he just loves the bright colors and trying to imitate the sounds she makes when talking about the blocks.

Sorry so wordy...I will get off my soapbox lol. I am just so passionate about maternal and infant subjects.

Harmony 09-24-2009 06:35 PM

Welcome to the board! Congratulations--what an exciting time!
I see so many baby quilts in pastels, and they are pretty, but the truth is that babies love bright colors! I don't think you can go wrong using primary colors, and the lend themselves to either boys or girls. There are lots of great, easy patterns out there!

kd124 09-24-2009 07:00 PM

Congratulations and welcome to the board.

You could just browse online or get books at your library to browse until something speaks to you.

sandpat 09-25-2009 06:11 AM

Welcome and congrats on you "construction project"...I would say..why limit yourself? Make lots....you know you will make some that hopefully will be loved to pieces, then you can make that "special" one as a heirloom...then just make several more!!

gramadona 09-25-2009 09:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Welcome and congratulations from No. California!
I just finished a baby quilt for my sisters grand daughter in the Warm Wishes pattern in pinks and browns. It's such an easy pattern that I think I'll make a larger one for my guest room in florals.
I made a Hearts quilt in all shades of pink and green and rose. It was easy also, but a little more time consuming.
Everyone here has wonderful suggestions and I'm sure you will pick a lovely pattern for your baby.... or maybe 2 or 3... baby quilts usually come together pretty fast.
Be sure to post pictures!!

SSTeacher 09-26-2009 05:22 AM

Beautiful quilts, "gramadona." I will post a picture of my "Warm Wishes" that I just started yesterday. I am presently joining the blocks. It is a super easy pattern (my first try), and my thoughts are the same as yours--I want to do a large quilt in florals and prints. Your heart quilt is also beautiful. I have that same pattern and did a quilt with country colors. It is done except for the borders (but has been done for several years :D ). I am bad about jumping on new quilts (an excuse to look for more fabric 8) . Thanks for sharing the pics.

Janis 09-26-2009 03:28 PM

CONGRATS ON THE NEW BABIES TO BOTH OF YOU GIRLS!!!
I had never heard of a D9 patch quilt until I read about one on the message board. I have twin GD 9 mo. old and am making them their own D9 patch quilts. I cut the squares 6 1/2 inches and put them together. I played around with the cut D9's and came up with the main body of the quilts. After machine sewing them together, I hand appliqued on a squirrel, ladybug, dragonfly, butterfly, bee, and a bird on the big squares. I plan to use circles of several colors for a caterpiller, and 2 overlaping hearts on each quilt. The hearts are to represent the fact that they are twins. Both quilts are made of the same fabrics, but are arranged differently. Don't know what I want to use for the borders, but will make the quilts about the same size as big brother(5) and big sister(3)'s quilts. I got most of the patterns and ideas for the applique off the net. I like to make 'Kid;s quilts" rather than "baby quilts' so they will hold the kids' interest longer. Does this help any?