Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Brother PE 500 Embroidery Machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-brother-pe-500-embroidery-machine-t187792.html)

debs 05-01-2012 08:27 AM

New Brother PE 500 Embroidery Machine?

I would like to do some embroidery, not a whole lot, just occassional item.

Just saw ad for this Brother machine for under $300, from Walmart, which is in my price range.
I have 2 sergers, a bernina activa, and a sears cam machine and ancient singer treadle.
The drawback is that this machine only does embroidery, but I think that is all I need it to do!

Anyone have any experience with this machine or tried it? Just curious about the advantages or disadvantages anyone might mention.
TIA for any comments

romanojg 05-01-2012 08:41 AM

It sounds like you already have enough regular machines at hand so the part that it only does embroidery wouldn' matter. I bought the Viking Ruby and I use it more for embroidery and still use my Kenmore more for piecing. Manily because I haven't taken the time to get to know the sewing machine side of it and I'm still learning the embroidery part. It's nice to be able to set the embroidery machine up and then still be able to piece on another machine; you aren't at a stand still only being able to do 1 thing. If you search on here you may find out about your machine. I know that some brothers are good but I also not all are created the same. Machines created for Walmarts are the same quality as the ones in a LQS or JoAnns. That being said you are trying to learn and get started it's a good place to start. You might check your area. Around here several shops that offer embroidery classes will let you take them no matter what machine you have.

Nanamoms 05-01-2012 09:14 AM

I have the Brother SE270D which is a combo machine and has the 4x4 embroidery field. I also have the PE700II which is embroidery only with a 5x7 embroidery field. Not sure what size the PE500 does. The size of the embroidery field is the most important option to consider. Learning the machines is easy and very self explanatory. Also, there are some great embroidery sites that have free tutorials on all the stuff you need to successfully embroider a design. I didn't take any classes...just self-taught. If you know how to operate any computerized sewing machine, you should be able to teach yourself.

So I guess your main decision is what size embroidery field you want. One other thing to consider is how you transfer designs from computer to machine. There is the memory card, USB or Flash Drive. You will get tired quickly of the designs built into the machine.

I love my Brother machines and have had very little problems with them. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM and I'll try to answer them.

Boater4444 05-01-2012 10:34 AM

I have the Brother PE770, besides a Bernina QE440, a older Singer Serger and an Innova Longarm with AutoPilot.

I agree with Nanamoms, embroidery field size is the most important aspect. Generally, the larger the hoop your machine can accommodate, the better. I've had lots of fun with my PE770 and have done several T-shirts, bibs and smaller quilts. The quality of the stitch, especially on the quilts, using continuous line embroidery designs, is beautiful. That's what actually convinced me to buy a longarm with robotics.

Like Nanamoms, I'm also self-taught. I bought myself a good general machine embroidery book and read and followed the instructions since I was new to embroidery. Because the machine only does embroidery, it's very straightforward and easy to use. Biggest issues I've had are with brand of thread. Mine seems to prefer Gutterman. I made the mistake of ordering some bulk "embroidery" thread on e-Bay, but no matter how much I adjusted tension, changed speed, stabilizer brand, etc. it was just shredding and breaking. Had to fish shredded thread ends out of the tension disks several times, until I learned which thread my machine liked. But the machine kept running no problem, even with all the tinkering I did. I've bought several of the Brother embroidery design cards but these seem to be going by the wayside as the new machines connect directly to your PC. I also transfer designs to my PE770 using a USB stick.

Bottom line: I've found my Brother PE770 to be very dependable and a good value for the money.

Good luck with your decision.

DJ 05-09-2012 10:07 AM

Greetings!
I bought the PE500 a few days ago. I'm a machine embroidery virgin, but have thought about a machine for a couple years now. I decided not to ask about this machine at my local sewing machine dealer, since the last time I conferred with them, they had me believing I wouldn't be happy unless I bought a better machine, and had me looking at $2,000-$3,000. That's just to much for a new toy at this time. So I went ahead with the under $300 Brother. I can consider it a "starter". So I'm looking for links to tutorials, etc.

I've done a couple embroidery designs that came with the machine so far. It seems to work great. I think I'm going to have lots of fun with it.

Let me know what you decide.

Anyone who wants to share how-to knowledge with me, please do!

debs 05-09-2012 10:54 AM

Anxious to hear more from you as you have more time to play with it.
For now I've decided to wait!
My good friend who has an embroidery machine said she would do anything I wanted her to for me, and also like the others commenting here said the size of the embroidery field is one of the most important and the Brother one is the small size. She suggested looking for a used or refurbished model if I really want an embroidery machine.

So for now I've decided to spend that money that is burning a hole in my pocket on some furniture to put my current machines on, so I don't have to keep putting them away.

Of course that is just as hard of a decision to make!
Anxious to see some of the embroidery your machine will do, so please show it!

Originally Posted by DJ (Post 5205129)
Greetings!
I bought the PE500 a few days ago. I'm a machine embroidery virgin, but have thought about a machine for a couple years now. I decided not to ask about this machine at my local sewing machine dealer, since the last time I conferred with them, they had me believing I wouldn't be happy unless I bought a better machine, and had me looking at $2,000-$3,000. That's just to much for a new toy at this time. So I went ahead with the under $300 Brother. I can consider it a "starter". So I'm looking for links to tutorials, etc.

I've done a couple embroidery designs that came with the machine so far. It seems to work great. I think I'm going to have lots of fun with it.

Let me know what you decide.

Anyone who wants to share how-to knowledge with me, please do!

bakermom 05-09-2012 01:15 PM

Brother embroidery machines are very user friendly. The only drawback i see with this machine is the the limited 4x4 embroidery field. for the price it is a good one to start with. Keep in mind though machine emb. is a pricey hobby. you need stabilizer, thread etc. but it is a fun thing

terrykonczyk 05-12-2012 08:27 PM

I just boughtt this today. I have never embroidered befor either. I have a few other Brother machines and love them. I experimented with a few designs on hand towels tonight and I think I am going to love it. I am anxious to try and download some patterns.

DJ 05-13-2012 06:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I did a handtowel, too, and then downloaded a free design to try out and did it on an old sweatshirt of DH's. I still have to work out how to make a quilt label with it. Would love to find some small redwork designs.

MaryNSC 05-27-2012 04:13 PM

O I got one too and I cant STOP I LOVE IT!!! THe onley thing so far I have found out is if you down load something bigger than 4 X 4 it will not show up on your screen so do not down load anything bigger than 4 X 4 unless you have some software to resize..