Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New fabric frustration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-fabric-frustration-t1224.html)

BarbC 06-07-2007 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i can't speak for anybody else ... and wouldn't criticize anyone who disagrees, but i'd find any pattern that will only look good done one way to be much too limited and limiting to be of much interest.

I agree Patrice... I never make a quilt exactly like the picture or pattern.. I tend to tweak things and use my own fabric choices.

Barb C

SandraJennings 06-08-2007 12:08 AM

Barb, isn't it the individuality of similarities that keep us so enjoying each others works.....is for me! isnthatodd......have you checked at missingfabrics.com ? They may have it.

Jill 06-08-2007 05:25 AM

I recently purchased some fabric from the Needlework Sampler collection by Fabric Expressions for RJR. I searched Google and Ebay and I did finally find enough to make a quilt. I also used "discontinued fabrics" during my search and that it where I had the most success. I posted my search on RJR, and the funniest thing happened: the one response I received was from a fabric shop about three miles from my house! Good luck; keep searching and you'll find what you're looking for or else you'll find something you like even better.

quiltmaker101 06-11-2007 08:41 AM

I found Fabric Trends magazine to be very helpful in knowing what new lines are coming up, so I can watch the fabric shops for them. They feature at least one quilt made up with the line, and directions.

It comes out 4 times a year, I believe, and it really gives a heads up for those of us who "have to have" that fabric! :wink:

Boo 06-11-2007 12:21 PM

There are some patterns that are made specifically to showcase a particular fabric. One that comes to mind is the "He Loves Me" line that includes a very wide border fabric. The pattern maker also designed the fabric. Her name excapes at the moment, but then she came out with another fabric line called "Fushia" that also gives the same effect in this pattern. Any quilt shop that orders her patterns usually also orders the fabric. Nancy Halverson is another designer of fabic and patterns meant to show how to use her fabrics. Interestingly enough, these patterns and fabrics take on an entirely different look when coupled with your own flair. Sometimes a new fabric line will come into the shop that I realize is calling my name. Sometimes it also says something like " Wouldn't I look good in a (insert your favorite pattern here)". Other times I will scour the store for a pattern that would showcase the right balance. Other times, I spend hours looking thru my collection of quilty magazines or books.
Are you really sure you want your quilt to look just like someone elses? If that is the case, and you can't find the fabric locally, google search the fabric line. If a magazine lists that fabric line today, then it is available somewhere or about to be delivered to the local shop. The shop owner will know whether that fabric is on order or not. Our shop often gets the magazine prior to the delivery date of the fabric.