Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Fiskers Cutting mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-fiskers-cutting-mat-t217804.html)

linhawk 03-30-2013 12:09 PM

New Fiskers Cutting mat

I have had my old Fiskars (made in USA) grey with orange numbers for about a hundred years. Time for a new one so bought another Fiskars. 2 sided different colors too. It has a terrible odor. Left it on the shaded deck for about a week but it still has an odor.
Just read it and it says it has chemicals that can cause cancer. Nuts!

jodimarie 03-30-2013 12:17 PM

the first mat I bought years and years ago!!, smelled like a skunk in the car!! took it home and hung it up on the back porch so the air could circulate around it and after several days, the smell did lesson and over time, was gone. I can always tell when they put new mats out at JoAnns.....that skunk smell is back!! I still have that first mat and pull it out on occasion.

Nammie to 7 03-30-2013 09:06 PM

That stinks! Sorry, I couldn't resist. :o

quiltingcandy 03-30-2013 09:33 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the cancer risk unless you plan to use it with food. Do you think it would help to soak it in vinegar for a while?

linhawk 03-31-2013 09:57 AM

Yes, I was thinking about vinegar and/or just soapy water.
The fumes are horrific though. Breathing them could be bad.
As for eating on it...haaa I don't think so.:)

Milli 03-31-2013 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by linhawk (Post 5967788)
Yes, I was thinking about vinegar and/or just soapy water.
The fumes are horrific though. Breathing them could be bad.
As for eating on it...haaa I don't think so.:)

Make a paste with baking soda and smear on mat let dry then rinse!:eek:

Jan in VA 03-31-2013 11:40 AM

It's that petroleum product smell. Gross. Scary. Can you tell where your mat was made; I'd be curious to know.

Jan in VA

alwayslearning 03-31-2013 12:10 PM

I would first try just shaking baking soda on it, one side at a time, and letting it sit for a few days. I recently had two things spill in my car that left stains and smell: wine and spaghetti. I used a stain remover that came with one of our old cars. The wine stank, the cleaner stank. I thought I was doomed. The stains came out, but the best thing is: I put a small cup of baking soda in the car over night! Sweet as fresh air! I use baking soda a lot as I am alergic to most perfumes, and so-called scents. It neutralizes!

Ranchwife 03-31-2013 12:44 PM

I just bought the rotating Fiskars mat and it smells like skunk also. Let it air out for a few days and the smell goes away. I bought their big cutting mat a few months ago and the smell from it was gone after a few days also.

dseale40 03-31-2013 12:58 PM

Just in case anyone is interested. I purchased the same mat about three years ago. Now after, fairly heavy usage, the mat does not appear to be self healing as described. There are nicks out of the mat that do not heal back. I have the Fiskars mat, that I purchased about 30 years ago, hence, why I purchased this Fiskars. Old one still works great, just too small. Not sure if this is a design flaw or just my mat.