Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Home 534 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-home-534-a-t156377.html)

qbquilts 09-27-2011 07:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know anything about this machine?

I picked it up at Goodwill a few years ago and haven't done anything with it. Right now I'm just using it as a side table in my living room.

Thanks!

New Home 534
[ATTACH=CONFIG]263411[/ATTACH]

model/serial numbers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]263412[/ATTACH]

MissSandra 09-27-2011 08:11 PM

new home I believe is janome and i'm envious! i gave mine to my gf and i'm really missing it but she loves it.

blueangel 09-27-2011 08:15 PM

Nice

montanajan 09-27-2011 09:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I bought a model 532 New Home recently for DIL & did some research. Yours is very similar.

New Home is a Janome product. The model was made 1962 - 1972. Janome attachments fit the New Home.
Very sturdy workhorse; sews nice stitch; can drop feed dogs for FMQ (push button next to bobbin spindle by decal).
Manual is available in pdf download on Janome support website.

My recommendation is clean it up and use it!

New Home 532 I gave DIL - she loves the retro look plus it sews well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]263432[/ATTACH]

quiltingcandy 09-27-2011 10:15 PM

Pretty machines.

qbquilts 09-28-2011 04:46 AM

Since it is in the cabinet, can I take it out of the cabinet to use? Or does it need to be left in the cabinet? I tried using it when I first got it, but the cabinet sits too high for my liking.

qbquilts 09-28-2011 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by montanajan
I bought a model 532 New Home recently for DIL & did some research. Yours is very similar.

New Home is a Janome product. The model was made 1962 - 1972. Janome attachments fit the New Home.
Very sturdy workhorse; sews nice stitch; can drop feed dogs for FMQ (push button next to bobbin spindle by decal).
Manual is available in pdf download on Janome support website.

My recommendation is clean it up and use it!

Thank you for letting me know that I could get the manual from Janome. I contacted them this morning and they've already emailed me the manual! I hope to get it checked out and working in the next week or so. :-). It would be nice to have a machine downstairs (it sits in the living room) instead of always having to be upstairs to sew.

montanajan 09-28-2011 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
Since it is in the cabinet, can I take it out of the cabinet to use? Or does it need to be left in the cabinet? I tried using it when I first got it, but the cabinet sits too high for my liking.

You could remove it from cabinet, but it might not sit flat on counter because of "workings" below cabinet base - try & see how it goes.
Could you use a higher chair, a pillow, or perhaps saw a little off each leg and finish the bottom of the table legs to make it appropriate height for your use?

Let me know what you do & how you like it when you begin to sew with this New Home.

BTW - happy you were able to so quickly receive the manual.

fluffygirl 09-28-2011 01:24 PM

I used to have one of these. It uses high shank feet. Also, the normal position for the needle is to the left of center. I guess you alread know all that since you have the manual now. It did sew very nicely.

Pat

DoesNotCompute 07-30-2012 04:16 PM

Manual!!

Originally Posted by qbquilts (Post 4320559)
Thank you for letting me know that I could get the manual from Janome. I contacted them this morning and they've already emailed me the manual! I hope to get it checked out and working in the next week or so. :-). It would be nice to have a machine downstairs (it sits in the living room) instead of always having to be upstairs to sew.

I also have a New Home 534, and I have been looking everywhere for a free manual! (I just don't see the point in spending $10+ on a photocopy of a photocopy that I have to download and can't even have a physical copy.) Was the manual they sent you via email free or was there a fee? And where on their site did you contact them? (I'm new to all of this! Sorry for all of the questions!) (: