Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Kid In Town (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-kid-town-t204009.html)

Downtown 10-23-2012 04:56 AM

New Kid In Town

Hello...
This is my first day here, first post. I'm coming to ask for your opinions and help in buying a new sewing machine. I have been a loyal Singer sewing machine for years, but I'm ready to move on to something better. Anyone have any recommendations? I need something that will sew through layers (quilt), but don't need frills. I don't prefer all the fancy electronics and would like to get something metal or at least heavy duty. It seems I just beat up the plastic machines (without meaning too). I'm thinking Janome, but want to see what other people think. Thanks, and looking forward to hearing from you!

Pat625 10-23-2012 05:01 AM

I still sew on my $99 Brother, but from what I have read here if I ever get another one I would look at the Janome..Of course I have been beating up the one I have for 8 years now, and it is still running great, so it won't be any time soon

Mom3 10-23-2012 05:06 AM

You mentioned you want to stay away from a plastic machine :)

Then look for a vintage Singer. QB even has a separate message board for those of us with the "Vintage Obsession": http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...thusiasts-f22/

Most vintage Singer's sell for under $100 (more likely around $20 to $40) and you just can't beat them - they last a looooong time.

One of my oldest Singer machines in constant use was manufactured in 1919 ... and she just keeps running. :)

Shari

pinkcastle 10-23-2012 05:08 AM

Hi and welcome to the board. I have two machines that I use. One is a Viking Lily which I've had for close to 20 years. It has more of the fancy stitches which I use for certain applications. My machine for quilting is a Juki TL2010 which I bought last year. It is only a straight stitch machine but it has a good amount of throat space which is nice when working with larger quilts. It also pieces beautifully. Good luck in finding your machine!

Downtown 10-23-2012 05:13 AM

Hi, and thanks for your reply! I've had several of the $99 dollar version machines that worked well until they broke. The problem is, when they broke, the cost to fix them was more than what I paid for them. Of course my machine broke last night right in the middle of a project that is due the day after Thanksgiving so I need to get a machine fast. I just don't want to get another cheap machine and go through this again. I'm looking on line at the Janome TB12. It looks like a work horse and around $200. I don't have a lot of money to spend so I'm looking for advice from fellow sewers.

Downtown 10-23-2012 05:15 AM

Awesome! Where would I find one to check out and/or purchase? Thanks for replying!

Tashana 10-23-2012 05:18 AM

If you want something sturdy without bells and whistles stick with Singer, maybe an older version.

Downtown 10-23-2012 05:20 AM

Can you still buy the older versions in stores, or do you have to get them online? p.s. Love the baby pic!

Downtown 10-23-2012 05:28 AM

Hi, is your Juki plastic or metal? I don't mind a straigth stitch machine, that's all I use anyway. Thank you!

Mom3 10-23-2012 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Downtown (Post 5606014)
Can you still buy the older versions in stores, or do you have to get them online? p.s. Love the baby pic!

If you are asking about the vintage Singers, check out your local craig's list. Also feel free to ask at the link I posted to see what vintage Singer's people are using. I have, amoung my 'herd', models 66, 99, 201, 301, 401, etc., etc. Basically speaking you want a Singer built before 1970 - after the vintage they started adding plastic gears.

And if you ever need your shoes mended (LOL) I also have a Singer 29-4 (nicknamed "The Patcher") that will do the job very well. :)

Shari