Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   new - to me - HQ16 and PcQuilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-me-hq16-pcquilter-t93633.html)

cathyvv 01-24-2011 09:02 PM

Hi! I'm experiencing delayed gratification. Bought a used HQ16 and PCquilter in October but had to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait for a chance to bring it to SC from NJ. (Bought it from someone in DE.)

My DH brought almost everything from NJ to SC in November...he forgot the PCQuilter! I was SOOOOOOO disappointed, but since he gave one of the bays in his 'man cave/garage' to set up the frame and HQ16, I managed to forgive him. The garage, by the way, is heated and air conditioned, is finished and has its' own bathroom, so setting up in the garage is not a hardship.

Earlier this month, he had to make an emergency trip to NJ for a plumbing job in the 2 family house we rent out - seems none of the plumbers he called wanted to work with 70 year old piping! So, as I kissed him good-bye and told him to drive safely, I reminded him that he had to bring the PCQuilter when he returned to SC. (No, I didn't say "Or else!")

This time when he returned he had the PCquilter! Yay! Yesterday I took out the manuals and we watched a dvd about setting the system up. Today we put all the parts together and - ta-dum - it works! Well, it 'air quilts', anyway. That was the goal for today, get all the parts working together and "air quilt" for a couple of minutes.

Now the real fun begins - figuring out how the PCQuilter software works.

I'm excited about this; am fairly new to quilting and hate to send my projects out to people I don't know. I figure this whole set up will pay for itself 20 - 30 quilts from now...

sewwhat85 01-24-2011 09:13 PM

how fun

amma 01-24-2011 09:17 PM

I am so excited for you :D:D:D

C.Cal Quilt Girl 01-24-2011 10:53 PM

Yah... happy for you there are some really cool systems out there !!

SueDor 01-25-2011 02:46 AM

Have fun!

Rose L 01-25-2011 05:11 AM

Congratulations on the new system! I'm considering the PCQ for my system. I hope you'll post back later and let us know how you like it.

Enchanted Quilter 01-25-2011 06:40 AM

Have a Blast its fun !!!

BKrenning 01-25-2011 07:27 AM

Unless you've got little elves that quilt for milk & cookies--it won't take nearly 20-30 quilts for your PC Quilter & HQ 16 to pay for themselves. I bought my setup because the local longarm place wanted $400 for the first quilt I couldn't handle myself. At $200-400 for each bed size quilt, you could easily make the payments on a professional system so I feel absolutely no guilt by investing in my home system and if I really get into quilting & designing and get good at it--all the experience on my little amateur system will transfer to a true longarm system. I'm happy just doing my own thing for now.

nycquilter 01-25-2011 09:45 AM

I love my HQ16 with stitch regulator. Enjoy yours, it is fun.

cathyvv 01-25-2011 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
Unless you've got little elves that quilt for milk & cookies--it won't take nearly 20-30 quilts for your PC Quilter & HQ 16 to pay for themselves. I bought my setup because the local longarm place wanted $400 for the first quilt I couldn't handle myself. At $200-400 for each bed size quilt, you could easily make the payments on a professional system so I feel absolutely no guilt by investing in my home system and if I really get into quilting & designing and get good at it--all the experience on my little amateur system will transfer to a true longarm system. I'm happy just doing my own thing for now.

Agreed! That is what convinced me to purchase the system. I had two twin size quilts done at $189 each. Needed to have them done because I can't hand quilt and pushing the quilt sandwich around under my little Brother was KILLING my hands and arms. (I have fibromyalgia, mixed connective tissue disorder and a neuropathy, and all of those ailments were screaming "STOP!" to me.)

We'll see how much fun I have with it. I'm sure there will be some aggravation, but that's true with everything in life!