Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New to me, Singer Treadle Machine 15-88 Reversable feed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-me-singer-treadle-machine-15-88-reversable-feed-t130561.html)

seasaw2mch 06-14-2011 06:18 PM

I'm so excited about finally finding a treadle machine. Cost only $50 but it's looks in good shape for the place it had been stored. Let me say here that I have never used a treadle so this will be my first.

Anyway, when I got it home and started to clean it up, I noticed that there was rat poison up in the machine. Lots of it, like they built a nest in there and was storing it. I have tried to dump it all out the best I can but I can't see far enough into the machine to see if it's all out. I was wandering if anyone else has this type of machine or knows a way I can be sure it's all out.So far I have let it sit after spraying WD-40 on all the screws because they were gonked up from being left untended for so long.

I got the face plate off the front but that still doesn't let me get into the body of the machine. I did use a air hose to try and blow through the oil holes but that was not working to well since the holes are so small.

By the looks of all the inner parts, this machine has been sitting for several years but I think if I strip clean it down and re-oil all the parts it will be like new. The cabinet is in fairly good shape so while I'm redoing the machine, I think I will also redo the finish on that as well as the stand.

One more thing, does anyone know where I can find new belts for this machine?

Oh Yea, the best part is that this came with the original book of instructions so if anyone needs a copy let me know and I will scan copies of it. It shows that it is good for "Singer Sewing Machines 15-88 and 15-89 Reversible Feed" The latest date of copy right in this book is 1933 so I'm thinking this might be that years model at the earliest.

irishrose 06-14-2011 06:40 PM

What a nice find. You can pop into the vintage machine site for answers to your questions. Put 'vintage sit' in the search box and it will be the first entry. There are so many knowledgeable people there and some, like me, not so much so.

Billy, aka Lostn51, has parts available. He also has a tutorial in the tutorial section (duh) on cleaning vintage machines. It has several parts. Glen has one on refinishing. He's not a fan of Howard's Restor-A-Finish and H's Beeswax, but some have had good luck with it. I just did a dressing table and it looks good.

The serial number of your machine will tell you when and where it was manufactured.

seasaw2mch 06-14-2011 08:59 PM

Thanks I will see if I can find it

montanajan 06-14-2011 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
Thanks I will see if I can find it

Serial number should be on the front of the machine, below medallion. Here is the site, in case you do not have it, to ID your machine's age & where it was made:
http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial numbers

I recently bought a Singer treadle machine & got a belt for it at the local Singer repair shop for about 8 or 10 dollars - forgot the exact price.

Happy treadling!

Painiacs 06-14-2011 11:57 PM

Congrats

Anne T 06-15-2011 04:16 AM

Enjoy:)

LindaR 06-15-2011 05:35 AM

belts on ebay also...comes with oil and instruction sheeet. I'm still looking for one...some day

CarrieAnne 06-15-2011 05:37 AM

Congrats!

Linda Harrison 01-11-2020 11:15 AM

Treadle belt slips off

I bought a Singer 15-88 and the belt keeps slipping off. I replaced the old belt and tightened it but it continued to slip off as tho there should be a grove on the hand wheel which is not there. Any suggestions?

juliasb 01-11-2020 11:25 AM

How exciting! A great find. You will have years of fun with this machine. You can order bests online. Amazon sells them as I have purchased them there. Just key in 'treadle sewing machine belt' they cost about $8.00. I found it doesn't pay to keep a second belt on hand if you only have a single treadle because the leather will dry out if they sit to long.. I know you can't wait to get it working and restored so you can sew your heart out and do your first quilt on it.