Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Postal rates (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-postal-rates-t88381.html)

yonnikka 01-07-2011 08:45 AM

Hello, ladies and gens, have you noticed the new Postal Rates (US). From one of my favorite quilt store online sources, I found this bold announcement this morning, Jan. 7:
***USPS IS CRACKING DOWN ON OVERSTUFFED FLAT RATE ENVELOPES. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND KEEPING YOUR ORDER TO A MAXIMUM OF 7 YARDS IF YOU WISH TO STAY WITHIN THE $4.95 SHIPPING BRACKET***

Lakeview Quilting 01-07-2011 08:46 AM

Good information!! Thanks for updating us.

kathy 01-07-2011 08:50 AM

well how can they say "if it fits it ships"

amma 01-07-2011 08:51 AM

Our local PO will allow them to be plenty full, but not to the point that the seams look like they will burst :lol: :D:D:D
They are also only allowing a small piece of tape at the top of these envelopes, so cover the tabs of the zip off strip.

littlehud 01-07-2011 08:52 AM

I was told if you have to tape it to keep it shut you need to use a bigger box. It's kinda funny because I tape all of them. Go figure.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-07-2011 10:12 AM

If you don't mind whatever you are shipping showing up wrinkled, you can put it in a ziploc bag and suck the air out with a vacuum. Then you just tape the bag closed well. You'd be shocked how flat you can get a pile of fabric with a vacuum.

ptquilts 01-07-2011 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I was told if you have to tape it to keep it shut you need to use a bigger box. It's kinda funny because I tape all of them. Go figure.

IF you don't tape it shut, it's for sure their piddly adhesive is NOT going to keep it closed. I always tape over the FRE's and SFRB's. I also reinforce the edges of the FRE if it is going any distance or overseas. This is all allowed by the DMM, the "bible" of the Post Office.

Be sure to go online and order some FR padded envelopes, they are new and will go at the $4.95 rate, no problem with stuffing those! I have ordered 30 and am waiting to get them.

Japonica 01-07-2011 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by yonnikka
Hello, ladies and gens, have you noticed the new Postal Rates (US). From one of my favorite quilt store online sources, I found this bold announcement this morning, Jan. 7:
***USPS IS CRACKING DOWN ON OVERSTUFFED FLAT RATE ENVELOPES. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND KEEPING YOUR ORDER TO A MAXIMUM OF 7 YARDS IF YOU WISH TO STAY WITHIN THE $4.95 SHIPPING BRACKET***

Typical government bureauocracy!

:shock:

GirlieWhirlie 01-07-2011 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
well how can they say "if it fits it ships"

They also say neither rain nor snow or dark of night....will keep the mailman from delivering the mail. My mailman doesn't show up if there is ice or lots of snow and I live in the city.

luvTooQuilt 01-07-2011 01:21 PM

You cannot tape the ENTIRE fre..that is what the big uproar on the fre's.. you are however allowed to tape the flap and your mailing label if you use clear packing tape ( just go all around the envelope) .. So you can stuff it as much as you want so long as you can seal the envelope first before you use the packing tape..