Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-quilter-t86133.html)

Ardell 12-29-2010 09:34 PM

You gals seem to share a lot of interesting views and I was wondering what is the most popular thread to use when
piecing and also doing free motion. I was using all cotton
and now use some polyester but don't know which is
really the best.

mrspete 12-29-2010 09:41 PM

Hello from North carolina.

Kryssa 12-29-2010 09:43 PM

Different people will tell you different things so be ready for that. I use 100% cotton thread for everything and like Aurifil and Mettler, but they are expensive so I often buy Gutterman on sale at Joanns.

Next time I do a Connecting Threads order, I'm going to buy some of their threads. It's a great deal (1200 yds for $2.49) and the reviews are mixed, but it's worth a shot :)

plainjane 12-29-2010 09:54 PM

Welcome from Arkansas! I can always use a refresher on thread!

Jim 12-29-2010 09:56 PM

HI from Kentucky..we use a poly blend and have never had a problem with it

LindaM 12-29-2010 10:02 PM

Welcome Ardell!
I have been using all cotton for both piecing and quilting ... but after a workshop with a local thread expert and seeing her samples, I'm expanding to include other threads ... I had always thought that the 'stronger' polyester would stress the cotton in the quilt.

But I wouldn't go with the cheapest, good quality thread will behave and perform better in your project. Some machines are a tad picky too, some threads end up being 'linty'.

akgranny 12-29-2010 10:09 PM

hey from alaska! i started out cotton only and silky finish cotton for top work. my local lqs lady said there's nothing wrong using poly. but, i'd have to say personal preference. and yes, buy good thread.

trif 12-29-2010 10:37 PM

My favorite thread is sulky rayon, it has a nice shine and does not have all the cotton lint left behind. Now that being said, some machines are picky,some people are picky, we all have our pros and cons as to why we do the things we do, I say use the thread you like for what you are making, if you are piecing no one will see it, if quilting then use what you like the most, just have a good time. Happy quilting

Jim's Gem 12-29-2010 10:46 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!!

Gina_D 12-29-2010 10:57 PM

Different people use different thread for different reasons. It probably doesn't matter all that much, it's what you are happy with. I was told in the beginning (a couple years ago0 that a good quality cotton thread was the best, so that's what I use. On wall hangings & things that aren't going to get laundered much, I use what I have. I have more colors in poly than I do in cotton, so that is easier. For a larger quilt, I'll purchase the thread I need (cotton). Sometimes I've used invisible thread, as my FMQ is not that great yet & the invisible thread covers a lot of mistakes....:-)