Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To new quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-quilters-t20712.html)

bearisgray 05-29-2009 12:46 PM

First of all, WELCOME

The more one reads about "how to" the more one realizes that there is usually more than one way to accomplish something.

Try different methods. I would suggest starting with something small to try out a technique - I have had several projects that about half-way through I figured out a much better way of doing whatever, but it seemed better to stay with the way I was going until the end.

There will be some things that are duds. Remember all the practice on things like arithmetic (is it math now) and writing we did in school?

It's okay to not be thrilled with one's first attempts. Proud, yes, that one tried. But usually one does improve with practice and experience.

At any rate, I've found the hobby to be very satisfying.

Hope you do, too.

kluedesigns 05-30-2009 06:40 AM

excellent advice

Shemjo 05-30-2009 10:03 AM

Remember to ASK QUESTIONS if something is unclear! This is supposed to be FUN! I heard lots of this stuff when I started quilting, but it didn't mean much at the time. Glad I stuck around long enough to find this forum! :lol: :lol:

MadQuilter 05-30-2009 10:32 AM

I am a fan of starting with a sampler. That way you can learn the techniques and build expertise from block to block. To this day, some of the easiest patterns (4-patch, 9-patch) are my favorites, even if I have advanced out of newbie status. I also eliminated a few patterns that looked real pretty on the picture but turned me off during the process.

Making a sample block to proof a new pattern is generally a good idea. Not all pattern documentation is created equal and neither are all seam allowances.

Asking questions is a BIGGY. Rather than struggling with an intricate pattern that JUST WON'T BEHAVE, ask someone. This board is AMAZING!!! for help and answers. I was lucky in that I have a colleague who can translate my brain-flubs into pictures. I am a visual learner and she has drawn many verbal instructions into a picture. All over sudden, the steps made sense.

basicfun 05-30-2009 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
Remember to ASK QUESTIONS if something is unclear! This is supposed to be FUN! I heard lots of this stuff when I started quilting, but it didn't mean much at the time. Glad I stuck around long enough to find this forum! :lol: :lol:

I agree 150 %.

SulaBug 05-31-2009 10:32 AM

Great advice for all of us!!
Thank you for sharing.
:D :D :D :D

MadQuilter 05-31-2009 10:43 AM

Here is a what not to do:

Don't approach strangers (or even friends) with a gleam in your eye (and scissors in your hand) and proclaim "Your tie (or shirt) has the perfect color (or pattern) for my quilt." You risk getting carted off and you'll live a lonely existence.

Please don't ask me how I know this. :lol: :twisted: :wink:

bearisgray 05-31-2009 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I am a fan of starting with a sampler. That way you can learn the techniques and build expertise from block to block. To this day, some of the easiest patterns (4-patch, 9-patch) are my favorites, even if I have advanced out of newbie status. I also eliminated a few patterns that looked real pretty on the picture but turned me off during the process.

Making a sample block to proof a new pattern is generally a good idea. Not all pattern documentation is created equal and neither are all seam allowances.

Asking questions is a BIGGY. Rather than struggling with an intricate pattern that JUST WON'T BEHAVE, ask someone. This board is AMAZING!!! for help and answers. I was lucky in that I have a colleague who can translate my brain-flubs into pictures. I am a visual learner and she has drawn many verbal instructions into a picture. All over sudden, the steps made sense.

A sampler is a good idea.

Is it true that the old-time quilters would have sampler albums (unset blocks kept in a book) for their patterns?