Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Ruler: June Taylor Perfect Half Square Triangles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-ruler-june-taylor-perfect-half-square-triangles-t21262.html)

kluedesigns 06-19-2009 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Sharon Schamber shows what is, IMHO, the most efficient way to make HSTs into squares - which is how we usually use them. She demos her method here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFu1_4ksHj8

She cuts the squares AFTER the HSTs are sewn together, thus no stretching while ironing, and no need to square up. I'll repeat that - YOU ONLY CUT EACH SQUARE ONCE. NO SQUARING UP :!: :!:

thank you so much for this link. i'm going to try this over the weekend!

Rose Marie 06-19-2009 09:38 AM

I have to go the oversized route. My squares turn out too small even when I use a scant 1/4 inch and some just turn out different that others.
Burns method works best for me and it is the easiest.

BellaBoo 06-25-2009 06:42 PM

I found this ruler at Walmart today. I was sure surprised they had anything new for quilting. Clerk said they were not going to have EZ brand anymore, just June Taylor brand. The EZ rulers were on clearance. I stocked up on those! Back to the HST ruler, it was about $12. I haven't tried it yet but I think it will be fun to demo at guild.

Esqmommy 06-26-2009 04:22 AM

Sharon Schamber shows what is, IMHO, the most efficient way to make HSTs into squares - which is how we usually use them. She demos her method here:

She cuts the squares AFTER the HSTs are sewn together, thus no stretching while ironing, and no need to square up. I'll repeat that - YOU ONLY CUT EACH SQUARE ONCE. NO SQUARING UP :!: :!:

Fons and Porter use a variation of Sharon's method - sew 2 bias strips together, and then cut squares from the strips.

With Sharon's method, you can cut enough squares for an entire quilt. It's the SAME method. It just depends on HOW MANY finished squares made from HSTs you need.

No paper foundations to tear off, no stretchy bias to get out of shape. Just oodles of finished squares made of HSTs. The main thing is, you have to be careful when you iron the strips together at the beginning! But you've starched the fabric heavily, so it's not going to stretch!!!

Best of all, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY A SPECIAL NEW RULER :D - and you probably already use the spray startch in your quilting cave. The wonder tape that Klue mentioned would work for marking lines for cutting if you're at all timid about using your rotary cutter after going to all the trouble of sewing all those bias strips together :!:

I agree. I posted about this earlier in the thread. Basd on one of the previous threads that you wrote about, I checked it out, and I'm totally impressed and amazed. It's the first time I've ever been able to make HST's this perfect!!

Esqmommy 06-26-2009 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns

thank you so much for this link. i'm going to try this over the weekend!

Credits to JoanneS - she mentioned it sometime back and I tried it, and WOW!! I love Sharon. I wish she was my quilt buddy.

BellaBoo 06-26-2009 07:31 AM

I used the ruler and it's very easy. Not much fabric waste at all. I have used Sharon S's method before and it's great when you want to make a lot of HSTs from the same fabric. I use scrap fabric pieces to make most of my HSTs.