Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A new serger...now what do I do with it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-serger-now-what-do-i-do-t35177.html)

PineyRiverQuilter 01-26-2010 12:26 PM

Just bought my first serger and now need some ideas, patterns, tips on what I can do with it.

amma 01-26-2010 12:42 PM

Check out some of the tutorials on the web...there are soooo many ideas out there on what you can make with a serger!!! :D:D:D I have seen many sewing shows where they used sergers to make quilts (adjustments to the stitches so the seams can be tugged on and they lay perfectly flat) to constructing purses, very cute hot pads ( the new style made with pockets for your thumb and fingers) Happy serging!!!

Baywatch quilter 01-26-2010 04:56 PM

I bought my first serger....5 years ago... and have serger phobia...I've never used it... though I can think of a dozen ways it would make my life easier....any ideas on how to get past this phobia?

emmy 01-26-2010 06:37 PM

Get some scraps and start 'playing'. I went through the manual page by page and taped my samples of each stitch to the page for reference. I noted what type of thread I used, like wooly nylon, and any adjustments to stitch length and width. Enjoy your sergers.
Mary Ellen in FL

PineyRiverQuilter 01-26-2010 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by emmy
Get some scraps and start 'playing'. I went through the manual page by page and taped my samples of each stitch to the page for reference. I noted what type of thread I used, like wooly nylon, and any adjustments to stitch length and width. Enjoy your sergers.
Mary Ellen in FL

I'm playing! Good idea to keep samples as I go. Thanks.

Jeri6 01-27-2010 02:10 AM

My neighbor just gave me a Baby Lock Serger with a big box of Wooly thread, and extra feet attachments and a whole bunch of other things I don't have a clue of what they are. His wife past away and this was her's. She had just bought it. I have been sewing for years but never with a surger. So I will be joining you, Piney River, playing until we learn how to use this crazy kind of machine. What is Wooly Thread anyway. Can you use it other than Serging?

Quilt4u 01-27-2010 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Baywatch quilter
I bought my first serger....5 years ago... and have serger phobia...I've never used it... though I can think of a dozen ways it would make my life easier....any ideas on how to get past this phobia?

Same here.It was DH that bought me the top of the line Viking serger. That is what got me.

grma33 01-27-2010 03:05 AM

I bought a inexpensive one as was a lways running to the neighbors to mend for the kids.
reat for making the kids pillow cases and bags.
Don`t use it often but great when I do.
Want to serge the edges of my quilts but need to know how to adjust width so no picking out after binding goes on.
Gale

Nursesews 01-27-2010 04:42 AM

My first serger was a freebie when I bought my first sewing machine, it stayed in the box for over a year before I was brave enough to even take it out :roll: Once I did I just jumped right in, read the manual, took a couple of free classes, decided it would not intimidate me and have truly loved it ever since. At first all I could make was napkins and placemats until family and friends had all they needed :lol: At present I am making toboggans and ear covers. I think you will enjoy it just jump in, what could it hurt?? JMHO

Berta 01-28-2010 08:28 AM

I had the same problem. The store i bought it from had a "club" where you went one a month and made a different project. just something little. Now i am a serging maniac!! I love it!!